clean install.....NOT

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by perry59, Aug 26, 2015.

1. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I upgraded my Samsung 700T to 8.1 pro via the "add features" routine in windows update.
    was fairly quick and painless. However, I still wanted to do a clean install. So, I downloaded the 8.1 pro ISO from Microsoft and made a boot USB from it. Plugged the usb into the tablet and restarted. The installation screen came up and I started to install, so far so good.
    Then it got the point where I entered my product code. I entered the new code I got from Microsoft when I did the pro upgrade and got the following message:

this product key can only be used to add features to windows it cant be used to install windows.

WTF! what kinda BS is this? I PAID for windows, I should be able to install it however I wish. What do they expect me to do, go buy a new OEM disk for $140 and what I paid already is just down the toilet? Kinda makes me want to put windows 7 on it. BS!
    are there any hacks I can do to do a clean install with my lowly "upgrade key"?

2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

maybe not waste the money, but waste of your time. do the windows 10 as the free upgrade, meaning downloading it again. then make another iso from windows 10 to do the clean install. at least that's my understanding.

This article explains the different scenarios: http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

read it through, it might allow you to use the iso you downloaded already. Just this time it won't ask for the key if you do the windows 10 upgrade first.

3. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't want windows 10!

4. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

5. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

maybe I will try the trick of putting in a "generic" key, if I can find one. Or, skipping that step and putting in the key after install.