Cintiqs step aside! Here comes Apple Sidecar

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Marty, Jun 6, 2019.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have not yet understood the legality of Hackintosh. But since it's hardly a
    Touch based OS, i doubt if i will ever be interested n one.

And it definitely looks dated, atleast the desktop. It looks too much like ubuntu for my comfort.

2. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Well written, 100% agree.

Using CSP/PS/ZBrush on my Zbook X2 is decent, I am happily rolling along and then some random windows thing happens that detracts from the experience. IMHO Android is still the BEST touch-screen environment, that is lacking in performance and app support.

3. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't wait for the support of external storage for iPad/iOS but i'm not as enthusiast as some (sry don't actually remember which thread/s i'm thinking of...) concerning iOS/iPadOS and the future of all that (including Macs/Macbooks & macOS).

I still wish / would have prefered my iPad Mini 5 device to be more of an updated Asus VT Note 8 kind-of-device. With the ability to run to old/weird/regular/legacy Win32 software, open-source or non commercial programs that aren't widespread etc.
    Hard to have to it all, the amazing battery life + optimized OS, the big modern software and then all the legacy stuff (that don't fit in a controlled App store).

OSX/macOS' already existing touch/touchpad gestures support wouldn't make it a worse OS than Win8/Win10 on a touch device if Apple wanted that to happen.. (but it's not Apple's way)

Anyway, for the curious\ity...,
    Youtube's recommendation algorithms just put this 2015's vid in front of my eyeballs. Yosemite running on a Cintiq Companion 2, with pressure sensitivity it seems.

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'm fairly certain that video is from a user of this forum, by the way.

5. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought it might be the case after posting it, when i saw i was actually subscribed to the channel!

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sidecar to the rescue for Dave2D's MacBook, lol:

On the plus side, it's now pen and touch enabled.

darkmagistric likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lol......

8. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

that's how i use my Cintiq pro 16 on my Surface pro 4 (cracked screen). I don't tape my Surface to it though. I just wish my 4k Cintiq had a 120 hz display. You definitely feel the unresponsiveness of 60Hz display after you have written on pro-motion display of iPad pro. Wacom should be worried sick by Sidecar.

Only thing Wacom has going for it is this - iPadPro+MacBook Pro is still a desk set up. Wacom just needs to make a 120 hz Cintiq to secure it's niche on a scholar/artist/calligraper's desk, as there are no 4k 32" iPadPros yet.

But Once Adobe comes out with it's full photoshop for iOS, people wouldn't need MacBook Pro with their iPadPro either. Laptop+Cintiq+desk trio vs a single iPadPro, it's not even a competition when it comes to affordability, convenience and value. You get Apple Arcade too.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The majority of users who use power software are not buying MacBooks for Photoshop..... The one that will probably kill off the MacBook (apart from Apple continuing to weaken the platform compared to powerful PC laptops with graphic cards) is when Apple recode Xcode to run on an iPad.
    Whatever people may say about Apple - App Store coders and writers make a lot of money on the App Store with sales and Xcode on a Mac ensures that Apps are going to run as smoothly as possible.

10. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Brad made an in deep review on sidecar, it seem disappointing. The pen performance seem even worse than Easy Canvas, especially the dots bug. Those with older Mac or Astropad wouldn't need to worry much about upgrades for now.

WillAdams likes this.