Cintiqs step aside! Here comes Apple Sidecar

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Marty, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

You think adobe will ever make photoshop touch friendly just because Apple has an iPad connected to a Macbook?

Besides I was taking about third party utilities available in Windows that makes a touch device something better than a paperweight: things like Tablet Pro or Touchme Gesture Studio.
    As of today not even Clip Studio is optimised for touch on a Mac: it's still an Os that can't distinguish between your finger and a pen.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Photoshop already supports the pencil via side car. It's still somewhat basic at the moment but quite functional.

There were a ton of Adobe people at WWDC though so I think it may come quickly. And they soft announced that the iPad version of photoshop is going to be out around when IOS13 is finally released.

siddhartth likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nobody has a crystal ball, but if I had to put my money on somebody getting x86 developers to bring their touch UIs up to par, it would be Apple. ;)

4. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Well

Sidecar overall makes a pretty convincing argument to go all apple for a lot of people. Students. Non-enterprise users.

Why get a SP6 and windows laptop when I could get a MacBook and an ipad that connect to each other via sidecar? Two displays on the go. A better pen experience. Longer battery life. Faster and more stable for a lot of tasks.

Oh right, gaming. Nevermind.

But this should just be a matter of time until even a thin MacBook can get good gaming performance even without space for a good fan, right?

WillAdams likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

@paprikaleapt I can't take it anymore...

Did the paprika leap?
    Do you like paprika and ale, and live in an apartment?
    Are you an apt cook using paprika and kale?

I have to know! :D

nnthemperor, paprikaleapt and Marty like this.
  6. paprikaleapt

It's all true, JoeS the bunny.

Except the cook part.

I have the old MBP 15 inch with usb A - the fan sound/heat it makes when I tried gaming on it didn't give me confidence though. Then again, I haven't tried a modern macbook.

7. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Remember this old friend?
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/ipadpro2-wishlist.71213/

@Marty @Bronsky
    I agree that Wacom is getting what it deserves, infact, if Wacom had come up with Cintiq pro like reduced parallax displays for Surface pro2, Microsoft would have never ever made the jump to NTrig. And we all would have been using our dream machine - A Surface pro with a reduced parallax EMR displays. And even Surface Studio would have sported custom made Wacom EMR. iPad Pro would have been a subject of ridicule because of it's OS. Make no mistake, most iPad pro users including me bought it for the 0grams IAF and 120Hz refresh rate, on the software side it's still far from perfect. If we had an option of a Surface with EMR, none of us would have jumped the ship. iPadPro would have occupied the same niche as TabS4 today, i.e, a tablet with a good stylus running a MobileOS, that no one cares about. Remember, that the first iPad pro didn't have the sidecar function, it was just an isolated island of unsatisfactory iOS experiences and frustations. Even without sidecar iPadPro had made a big dent in Wacom/Surface/ThinkPad market with just procreate and notability. We didn't chose iPadPro, instead Microsoft Ntrig and Wacom AES pushed us away.

But but and but,
    Wacom still has some advantages for the time being,
    • there are no ipad pro larger than 16"
    • No ipad iPadPro that are 4k
    • No iPad pro's that can be hooked upto a PC
    • Apple's XDR displays and those on iMacs still do not support Pencil input
    • Note taking apps on iOS are still very unsatisfactory and most stylus users in future will be from sciences and not arts.
    • iPadPro and a MacBook pro are still 2 different and very expensive machines in Asian markets, where Wacom prices are still relatively grounded. These are the markets where most of the tech users will live in coming 5 years. Many of them are young students and professionals. And their incomes are not going to increase in proportion to their aspirations of living in an Apple Ecosystem which is designed keeping Rich Californians in mind and not Middle class Mumbaikars.
    • MacOS doesn't support touch
    • Hackintoshes are still not officially supported
    Wacom can still save itself by -
    • Replacing Cintiq pro 13 with a 2.5 K, ultraportable, EMR, OLED, upto 120Hz refresh with 13" and 4 :5 aspect that can be powered directly with just a USB C cable connected to any laptop or desktop without any need of an external power supply. Wacom touch display for the masses. May be also with user replaceable batteries. Then you can use it with your android phone like a one plus 7 or pixel, without any of the bloatware thatSamsung fills Note 10 with with a much bigger screen.
    • Adopting variable refresh rate upto 120 Hz in all it's displays
    • And specially adopting HDR in it's Pro displays.
    • And campaign to start promoting EMR displays on prosumer machines like thinkpads instead of AES.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 2:14 AM
    YVerloc and nnthemperor like this.
  8. paprikaleapt

Right so the origin of the name is:

The movie Paprika

The movie The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Good taste! I approve. :D

Azzart likes this.
  10. Azzart