Cintiqs step aside! Here comes Apple Sidecar

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Marty, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It looks like Apple just dropped the bomb with official support for drawing monitor mode using the Pencil on iPads:

[​IMG]

(Apple)
    "Mac users can now expand their workspace — and their creativity — with iPad and Apple Pencil."

I'm not sure what's left for AstroPad really, and I assume Wacom is going lose 80-90% of its Mac peripheral sales with this one announcement. Brutal.

(But a good day for artists! :D)

darkmagistric and Bronsky like this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's a lot of users who've asked for a Windows version. If Sidecar kills Astropad off on the Mac, Astropad can join Duet on the Windows platform.
    I say "if" as we have yet to see how well Sidecar does the job but friends of mine hate Astropad's subscription model and others are now talking about either getting an iPad to go with their Mac or even vice versa. I shake my head at the last bunch as I've previously told them Astropad and Duet exist. Seems they just didn't have faith a 3rd party company could make the concept work.

3. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Would be excited if I had a Mac.

That aside, this does sound like a really bad news for Wacom. With USB-C or lightning connection and native support from Apple, the connection quality could be as good as Cintiq.

Having used the ipad 2018 for a while, I find it really portable, have great batterylife and handy, higher resolution than most cintiq alternative and now if it can be used as an art tablet as well, that would be a great value for 325$ +99$.

Compare to that, an Intuos Pro Medium is already 329$ at similar size and no display seem really expensive.

Studios would probably still stick with Wacom for its sturdiness and battery free pen though. Apple pencil is expensive,need charge,has an expire date and not as comfy as Wacom pen (in my opinion).

siddhartth likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

OOPS! Didn't know you already had this thread. Was too lazy to look. lol

I guess my thread should be killed.

5. Marty

Some more details via PocketLint:

"For Pencil support to work, the app will need to support Tablet Events.
    [​IMG]
    Apple announced a number of apps that will work with the new Sidecar feature, including many from third-party developers:

• Adobe Illustrator
    • Affinity Designer
    • Affinity Photo
    • Cinema 4D
    • CorelDRAW
    • DaVinci Resolve
    • Final Cut Pro
    • Maya
    • Motion
    • Painter
    • Principle
    • Sketch
    • Substance Designer
    • Substance Painter
    • ZBrush"

That's already a pretty solid confirmed lineup out-the-door.

I love that Apple always makes sure developers are onboard before releasing new hardware/OS features (instead of just praying apps will optimize for pen/touch).

Guys, I'm ashamed to admit, but I'm feeling the urge to switch to the dark side right now... :D

6. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm feeling that urge too... But probably,will reconsider that the next few years.

From available information , Sidecar is not officially supported from Macbook air 2015 to any previous version, so still good hardware like the Mac mini 2014 still won't support Sidecar. So we have to buy the newest (and more expensive ) Mac for Sidecar. Mac machine sale will definitely be boosted with this move from apple.

Also Apple pencil being expensive with battery having an expire date still keep me from wanting to fully invest into the Mac eco-system as sole drawing rig :p

Edit: apparently it was possible to get Sidecar to work on unsupported system at worse display quality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/bx3eet/sidecar_support_on_older_macs/

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    siddhartth likes this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Me nope.
    When it comes to work on a touch device Windows simply have so much more options to take advantage of compared to MacOs...

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wacom deserves this for failing to see the potential of its pen technology and assuring the easy adoption by notebook and tablet ODMs.

9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For me, this makes pencil support on a 21 inch iMac much more realistic but also an Apple CPU inside that machine.

I would hang on too so as not to be left at high tide when Apple switch over and the OS doesn't support Intel Macs anymore. They did that going to PowerPC from Motorola and again going from PowerPC to Intel. That switch is coming - make no mistake about it.

siddhartth likes this.
  10. Marty

It's all about the apps and developer support.

Touch support is all over the place on Windows: sometimes its good (solid in CSP); sometimes cumbersome (2-finger pan and unresponsive zoom on Affinity Photo), or sometimes it's just not there at all (SAI).

UWP apps have good touch support, but lack features. While established Windows developers will just abandon touch UIs mid-development: eg. Adobe CC's "touch workspace", which started with the SP3 in 2014, and hasn't been updated since (despite glaring UI omissions like a lack of layer/brush palettes).

With Apple's method of certifying apps for Sidecar, it puts the onus on developers to deliver a consistent touch/pen experience and optimize their UIs accordingly.

This is what the Windows tablet experience is missing, consistency and usability.