Cintiq pro 16 vs 27 or incoming 24

Discussion in 'Artists' started by icecoldart, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The dell xps uses wacom aes though, not emr.

As for your back pain I would check your desk and chair rather than the cintiq.
    Personally I would rather draw/paint standing than using again one of those traps that are the deep seat office chairs.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find the big problem wrt back/neck pain comes from doing everything on the big Cintiq screen. -Not just drawing, but also writing emails and watching videos. That'll kill you.

I was able to mitigate that posture disaster by mounting a small "heads up" display at eye level. That way I can sit up straight for any non-drawing task.

This is what my desk setup looked like last year, (I've dusted since. :) )

[​IMG]

That little screen on the swinging wooden arm up top changed my life.

A good chair with a stiff back to keep me from slumping was another important part of the equation. -But so is being mobile with a TPC; changing location frequently forces a variety of postures and prevents work injury.

Also.., I'd be wary of any tablet computer which doesn't use EMR; the Wacom version of AES is frustrating, I found. Too much jitter. AES isn't ripe yet.

But if you can stay on an Intuos without detriment, then why not just do that? -Personally, I found the hand-eye disconnect too much to bear.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  3. Azzart

That's the beauty of using an Ergotron arm. :D
    FB_IMG_1516556539286.jpg

darkmagistric and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. icecoldart

icecoldart Pen Pal - Newbie

AZZART when you've got your 27 incher positioned like that, is it comfy to use for long hours?
    I can get a refurbished 27 qhd non touch for far less than the asking price, my current 27'' amva asus monitor
    is still Full hd, so upgrading to Cintiq 27 would be nice as it is, although that 4k display of incoming 24'' is tempting.

And having the monitor arm I could position this the same way as you, so if you state that it's good enough I might just go for the bigger one and just be done with it. :p

@thatcomicsguy Well, the fact that I CAN do quality linework on intuos doesn't mean I like doing so. There were times that I simply wanted to throw it out through the window ^^'
    I've grown acsustomed to it, yes. But i still do 99% of my thumbnails and quick sketches on paper, simply because it's faster and less frustrating, cintiq would change that I guess.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. Azzart

Depends on your use: mine was touch and I don't use the keyboard at all. I don't even have one.
    Also, you have to manually switch between portait and landscape mode in windows since there is no sensor that tells the system the current orientation of your screen.
    You also have to bear in mind that while very good, the Ergotron arm will always have some degree of wobbling: it's something anyone can get used to after some time but it's a tad strange in the beginning.

Aside from these I loved working that way, it felt like working on an easel again after years.
    A pity the cintiq itself worked so poorly between pen and touch. :-/

6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Technically, any Windows 10 machine can be a wireless display for another Windows 10 machine. And the best part is that pen pressure info is passed through, so every Win10 tablet pc is a potential wireless Cintiq!

It may have a bit of lag depending on the wireless network, but it does work.

7. dumbo

dumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

My motivation for going Cintiq is exactly that too. Although last few days I am questioning if I should be wasting $2000+ on that. Decisions decisions...!!!!**!! Add the fact that my old monitor needs updating too. 32" 4k monitor + 32" Cintiq, now that would be awesome :)

8. icecoldart

icecoldart Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah I'm not so sure, to be honest 27 is not ideal for me 24 on the other hand is, 32 is in my opinion a waste of money for many of us, there are rare cases that will ACTUALY utilise the work space, other than that mos will probably bring refference photos/artwork to work aside it.
    But i's cheaper ti simply have a secondary monitor for that :p

I'm waiting for 24'' and its reviews before pulling the trigger.

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

?!?!?!?

DID I MISS SOMETHING?

Could you point me to the thread where this was discovered and discussed? I must have missed this epic conversation? New features of Windows 10?

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I spy Moebius! rip

thatcomicsguy likes this.