Cintiq pro 16 vs 27 or incoming 24

Discussion in 'Artists' started by icecoldart, Jan 19, 2018.

1. icecoldart

icecoldart Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello folks.

After a year and a half long break I'm back in the industry, working full time Illustrator.

I'm currently using a company Intuos pro medium, switched over from my trusty best friend Intuos 3 SE.
    The pro is a great tablet, although i hate how quick new tips wear down... >.>

I was considering getting either Cintiq 16, 27 or ( as of now ) incoming 24.

I had the intuos 4 tech 21 ux in 2012, but honestly I wasn't good enough to use it's potential back then.

My current setup consists of 27 inch monitor a desktp tower and mentioned earlier intuos pro.

Now why such size and why?

27'' and 24'' would offer the most space for your entire arm movement and such, and as far as this is a plus it might be a major con as well. I tend to work long hours around 9-10 a day. And I fear this could make my arm die on me pretty fast xD

The 16'' Would feel more cramped, but It would most likely be more comfortable to use for longer hours when it comes to arm fatigue. However hunching over it would most likely create anothe problem which would be the neck/back pain.

I have to mention that I own amazon basics monitor arm, which is basicly amazon's Ergotron LX, so mounting the bigger ones on it would help significantly.

When it comes down to the smaller one, i know that many people do recommend artisul stand, which works great with it.

So, basicly it all boils down to which one would be more comfy to paint on for extended periods of time.

I tend to draw less, and simply paint more nowadays, so i'm quite fine with the intuos setup, but there are times that i lack the line hand/arm movement precision that cintiqs do offer.

If you by chance own one or both, could you share your experience?

Many thanks, Paul a.k.a icecoldart.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

24 if you can afford it.
    27 is great for drawing in terms of size, but resolution is nothing to die for. And the 24 should be akin to the 16 in terms of hardware: better pen, better resolution, less space between glass and the actual display panel, less cursor offset the more you get away from the display center.

YVerloc likes this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey Paul, in my experience I get the least fatigue drawing on a 22HDT than I do on a small screen, but your ergotron in my opinion is more important to the ergonomics than the size of the screen. As long as you can vary your drawing position throughout the day, you should avoid the sore shoulder with a larger cintiq. I find the screen size only makes a difference for which part of your arm might get sore. Small screens and intuos have you using your wrist more, which can lead to painful tendonosis and such down the road. If you are accustomed to drawing with large arcs and moving your elbow not your wrist, I think you would make good advantage of the larger real estate. Especially with the monitor arm. One thing to get used to ergonomically when switching from an intuos to any size cintiq is the shift in posture. I find its a little harder on my back over long sessions drawing on a screen (or sketchbook) than it is looking straight ahead at a monitor while my arm is below me on an intuos. I found I have to watch my neck and shoulders more for posture when I am on a cintiq, it can be too easy to draw hunched.

If I were you I would go for the 24" when it comes out. I think it will really hit the sweet spot in terms of size and res.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with Stoneseeker at Azzart. A cramped drawing area puts a lot more load on the wrist and fingers. So up to a point bigger-is-better for arm and hand health. But the screen res of the 27 is shameful. 100-and-change dpi was a decent res in 2003, maybe. The 24 seems like the sweet spot to me.

5. icecoldart

Hmm, I see.

I used to play around with 22'' cintiq many years ago and thought that was a sweet spot, yet the new 24 pro should be of a smiliar footprint thanks to newer design.
    I might just wait for that one to come out.

Simply not sure if I really need a huge cintiq for what I do. I've a feeling that having the smaller and way cheaper 16'' would be a nice combo for when I need the precision in the drawing phase, and I could simply switch to intuos pro when it's the painting phase. Plus I may be travelling way more this year, so having an option to take it with me for a couple of days is a nice bonus.

Heck if I had a simple comic workflow I'd even go for the ipad pro and PS touch ups on the PC.
    Unfortunately cannot show any new artwork yet, but is very similiar to hearthstone art.

The usual problem is, the more I read the less I'm sure about certain stuff ^.^''

Anyhow if someone else wishes to share their opinion, I'm more than welcome to hear from you :)

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A 16" screen should be adequate for most comics projects. -I'm currently doing a lot of stuff on a 15" 1080p portable, and haven't run into any problems. It has been quite satisfying to work on.

However, I do also have an old 21" Cintiq at home, and I'm constantly moving artwork between the two devices. I find it gives me a "big picture" view of what I'm doing which I appreciate. For big, dramatic pages, it's good to be able to lay out the whole page at a decent size. I find it makes a subtle, but psychologically important difference. No project ever just stays on one machine.

Budget allowing, I generally recommend artists have two machines; one large screen mounted permanently in the studio with a good chair so you can really get the absolute best view of what you are doing. -And another for off-site work, which I find to be an important plus for me. I do fully half of my work in coffee shops and libraries and such. I get restless and often a change of scenery is helpful to find the next creative wave. -But that's just my process.

Back when I only worked on paper, I found taking work with me on the go wasn't at all convenient, (the pages were big!), but I never really had trouble getting things done. I just hated sitting still in one place for more than a couple of hours and I associated work with pain and anguish. Work is still hard and takes discipline, but the Tablet PC has really served to make it more fun and comfortable, at least for me. -But I'm a people person; I get charged up when I can accidentally find myself in conversation and experience new energies and surroundings. So long as I'm at a table, and don't mind excusing myself from a conversation, I find I can still hit all my production goals. Then I bring everything home and clean it up for release.

It is quite important, however, I find to be able to spend long stretches alone at a big board with no distractions. Neither condition is perfect, but both are important. A 16" board might be good enough to serve in both capacities. -I should note that for a long time, (several years), I was working on a 14" 4:3 screen (resolution of 1400 x 1050) mounted to my desk, and that was good enough to get some great work done. Graduating to a 21" home-board came with a big sense of relief, but I wasn't exactly living in hell previously.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    siddhartth and stoneseeker like this.
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Well now your talking about a whole 'nother factor that I didn't realize was part of your decision, my recommendation was strictly based on ergonomics. If your anticipating travelling a lot I would recommend the Mobile Studio Pro 16" since it can double as both a powerful cintiq machine on the go, and then hook up to a more powerful PC at home to finish big projects with as a regular PC. Its the best "do it all" solution available currently.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. icecoldart

Well I'm not that crazy about Mobile Studio Pro to be honest, I'd rather pick up a very nicely priced xiaomi notebook pro i7 16gb model and a cintiq 16'', since i can always switch the main computing machine easily and spend less as well. I do not intend to sit in coffee shops working like that anyway, I'll buy an ipad pro 12.9 down the road for that purpose.

While having a "mobile" setup is nice, it's not a deciding factor. I'd still preffer the "best" experience at my studio with occasional travel breaks and a cramped laptop screen if you know what I mean.

Once again what bugs the most is " Do I really need the large Cintiq to get ALL my work done", like mentioned earlier I draw less, paint more nowadays, so for the initial sketch phase while doing an illustration the smaller cintiq might be just enough, and when that is over I could just toggle the display and go back to my regular 27'' or even paint on intuos pro whatsover.

I'm afraid of getting awful back/neck pains that I remmember from owning 21ux. I work no less than 9-10 hours each day and need the best "working experience" for the sake of my health as I'm not getting any younger.

Unfortunately I live in a smaller town and we don't have any stores that sell cintiqs, only the cheaper intuos manga and draw. As I could simply pick either up for a couple of days and test them out.

To be honest if cintq, any one for that matter would cause me pain/fatigue I'd rather stick to my trusty intuos, I've done 99% of my work on a regular intuos tablet since 2009 when I started out, including quality lineart, it can be a pain in the butt yet it's possible ;p

siddhartth and thatcomicsguy like this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just an idea....but how large (and casual) is your Studio...like would you have roughly the same size to accommodate a twin bed?

Odd question on my end, but let me explain. I too have a 21ux Cintiq attached to a fairly overkilled desktop setup, with 4 or 5 monitors (don’t ask), and a repurposed work bench table (instead of a desk) to accommodate the reclining nature of my 21ux. By all means.....it a fantastic setup pretty much perfect for digital art........and yet I seldom use it. In truth I get more done at the coffee house, but that’s not the point I’m trying to make. Late at night.....after a long and tiring day.....I don’t want to sleep but.....I just can’t bear to sit at my desk to draw...sitting up just wears me out faster....I’ve found my late night drawing Niche of sorts......lying down....on my bed specifically.....Pillow or two under my chest....I draw with my Galaxy Book 10.6.....and despite the ridiculously more powerful and multi monitor capable desktop rig.....like 10 feet away.....lying down and drawing on my Galaxy Book is way more comfy so most nights that’s what I end up doing. And given the more....flat rigid posture my back takes when lying down.....I think it’s safe to assume it’s overall better for my back/neck then being hunched over my 21ux. At worst case, given the way I arch my back and neck while lying on my belly, given how it’s the polar opposite of how I arch my back and neck with the 21ux.....it’s sort of the perfect balance, bouncing between drawing at the desk and drawing on my bed.

So instead of oversized Cintiq Overkill......a better option could be a more mobile stand alone tablet PC device....and just using it on a futon, a couch, or really any furniture designed for lounging around on that’s long enough for you.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  10. icecoldart

Hmm, that's an interresting proposition Darkmagisric ;)

Dell just announed it's brand new xps 15 2 in 1 with wacom tech, Maybe I should wait for that one and check it out before pulling the trigger, I'm waiting for the 24'' Cintiqs and their reviews anyway so, why not? I guess. However as far as I know, only the MSP and older companions offer the ability to turn them into "regular" display tablet right?

argh, so many good options out there now, it;s hard to decide... ^^

Ideally I'd want an Imac 5k ( nothing against PC's i just like OSX for my photoshop and spotify life, ) a 24'' cintiq and an iPad pro 12.9 with dell xps 15 2 in 1 for "serious" work when on the go.

But that's a LOT of cash to spend, so I need to start with what I need the most at the moment, and that is a cintiq I believe. I could probably live with yiynova or huion tablet, but to be honest sticking with wacom ensures me that 7 years from now I'll be able to download drivers for my tablet. While thos eother companies mya be non existing.

Ok, folks thanks for your input, I need to consider my options carefully and wait for some reviews of the upcoming products.
    I'll share my thoughts when I get any of those, thanks again!