Cintiq Pro 16 - design defect?

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by RocketBoots, Aug 6, 2018.

1. RocketBoots

RocketBoots Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I had my Cintiq Pro 16 replaced under warranty after a year of ownership few months ago. Now it is exhibiting exactly the same fault - a growing patch of dead / stuck pixels underneath where I rest my hand when drawing.

I've used Cintiqs since 2008 with the 12WX, up to the 22HD and 24HD. All were robust workhorses that I used 7 - 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for several years each. Naturally I've been using the Cintiq Pro 16 in the same way. How I work hasn't changed, and I know I'm not putting any unreasonable pressure on the device.

My hunch is that in their effort to reduce parallax and make the device slimmer, Wacom have compromised on the durability of the display. I'm curious of anyone else has the same problem? It's easy to check - just set the desktop to a black background and take a look.

Perhaps I've just been very unlucky and another RMA will fix it.

TheSaritorian likes this.
  2. TheSaritorian

TheSaritorian Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi RocketBoots!

I know that this is over a year after you posted this, and maybe you won't see it, but I recently found this and you are so far the only other person that I've seen that's experienced this issue! This is EXACTLY what I'm dealing with. I'm on my 2nd cintiq pro 16 that has developed a large patch of stuck pixels in 6-8 months of heavy use (6-8 hours a day). The first one was bought in January 2018, Wacom kindly replaced it free of charge near the end of 2018; but I'm now out of warranty and this second unit I have is now exhibiting the same problem. Both tablets were perfect upon getting them. I've attached a picture of my current tablet below. Is this like what you experienced?

I recently posted about this on Reddit in more detail. Some people on there seem to think this is my fault for resting my hand on the tablet and putting too much pressure on the screen. I suppose this is a possibility, but I can't imagine I'm that heavy handed in comparison to every other user in the world. And also if that is the case I'm a bit mad at wacom for making a model that is seemingly so easy to damage while using it in the intended manner. Unlike you, this is the first Cintiq I've ever owned, so I have no reference point for if this would have happened to me with older models.

Wacom has offered to repair this 2nd tablet for free, but not replace it like before. Have you had any luck in the year since you've posted this? Any insights or help would be greatly appreciated! Even if I get the repair I'm concerned that it will just happen again in another 6 months or so.
    [​IMG]