CIntiq 21UX or 22HD?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by erzane, Jun 5, 2016.

1. erzane

erzane Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I just bought a 21UX (DTK-2100) and I am waiting for my new pen, but I just tested it like this for trying the confort with a non working pen (the one of my Intuos2) and I notified that the glass of the 21UX is very hard and solid, and completly different feeling from the Intuos2 I had until now.

My impression is that the display (the picture itself, which is incrusted on the display) is very deeply increased, far from the glass (around 3 or 4mm deep).
    My 1st feeling is that: I haven't the impression to draw, but more ''carressing'' the glass, very far from the picture of my drawing. In the Intuos2 it's different since the drawing surface is more soft.

My question is: had the new Cintiq 22HD (or 22HD touch.. I don't know..) more thin glass, or, more smooth..or, how to explan it...more close from the drawing/the display..

I hope my explanations are clear enough, but since my english isn't so good...

Thanks for your understanding

ticol likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...had the new Cintiq 22HD...more thin glass, or, more smooth..or, how to explan it...more close from the drawing/the display...>>

er: The term for what you are trying to describe is "parallax," the apparent offset between a point on an image and a reference point (in this case, the tip of the nib of the pen). As you realize, parallax is a result of the distance between the image-generating surface of the display and the outer surface of the glass cover (sometimes called a "screen shield"). The display will typically have its own glass cover and the screen shield lies over that, frequently with a thin air gap in between. All of these thicknesses (screen glass, air gap and screen shield) add up to cause the observed parallax. Sometimes, the air gap is filled with an optical adhesive which improves the overall optical performance of the layered elements (called a "stack").

I will leave it to a Cintiq user to tell you whether they think the 22HD represents an improvement over the older Cintiq models.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Neither 21UX nor 22HD uses glass IIRC. They both should be polycarbonate. I remember both feeling pretty similar as well in texture and parallax.

Only go for 22HD over your 21UX if you desire touch. 22HD Touch should be eady to find. The important thing IMO is that both uses the K series pen, which has the new 1 gram initial deyection force. Rest doesn't matter much.

I'd personally stick to your 21UX. $500 makes you a bargain winner of the week. Also 4:3 of 21UX makes for easier physical swiveling then 16:9 of 22HD.

4. erzane

erzane Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your explanations to both.
    Really interesting this parallax thing.

When I saw that the 21UX is 4/3, I was happy because I prefere 4/3 for all drawings. First I was looking for a 13HD but 13'' is to small and don't like the 16/9 format..so, with time and patience, 21UX cames to me by itself hehe.
    Concerning its good price: the person wanted to sell for 1000$, but since he had no pen, we couldn't test it. He had no box to.. So, we made the deal like that. He wasen't living so far from my home, so no had to pay shipping:)

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...He wasen't living so far from my home, so no had to pay shipping...>>

...A bargain, indeed...!

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

8. erzane

erzane Pen Pal - Newbie

thatcomicguy - mine is DTK model
    shogmaster - detection force it's very cool, it's totaly new for me, I can do pen tricks that I would never done with an intuos2 before

Shogmaster likes this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh. You already got one. For nothing.

I completely misread your earlier post/s.

Congrats!

Yes, you've got a great machine which ought to serve well until the parts die a natural death. -Or until you get into HD movie animation or something where a wide screen might be useful.

10. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

You got a great Cintiq for a bargain. The parallax problem is mitigated (mostly) when you calibrate the screen. The Cintiq 24HD has a 4:3 aspect ratio as well but I didn't like the anti-glare coating. I was told this coating is even worse on the 22HD which makes text look a little blurry. This is not a problem with the 27qhd which I replaced the 24HD with.