Chuwi Hi13 – 13.5” 3:2 3000x2000 with Goodix(?) Active Pen

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by kvoram, Feb 16, 2017.

1. gene5

gene5 Pen Pal - Newbie

• Just saw it on sale at geekbuying as well, it goes for $359 with the stylus pen.

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Here is the video everyone is looking for. I posted this in the comments section of TechTablets a couple days ago:

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That Photoshop lag: ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Huh. I wonder how it would perform with something lighter like Xodo, or if MobileSheets would be tolerable. It's getting harder to not get one.

Must remember how bad Hi12 was. Must remember how bad Hi12 was. Must remember how bad Hi12 was...

sonichedgehog360, Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

I strongly recommend keeping a safe, healthy distance from all these Apollo Lake tablets with Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book displays. Apollo Lake processor should be just called Atom 2.0, since they are just slightly boosted Atom processors still without the necessary graphics grunt and muscle to push all those pixels. There is a very, very smart, good reason why all the mainstream tablet PCs except Microsoft largely still use resolutions around full HD. This here is your textbook example of an over-designed product, where you get serious drawbacks just like this.

6. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

But but but, I only need a really big screen to flip through PDFs with the occasional marking. The problem is, those markings are small and have to be fast and accurate. Why can't a reviewer just pop open onenote with some rule lines and write a sentence? Some of us just need to write accurately.

7. sonichedgehog360

I am almost 100% Apollo Lake will lag at anything pen input-related when it has 5 to 6 megapixels of desktop display graphics to continuously output. As several have said here before, one of the single-most driving factors in pen input performance is the processor's single-thread performance.

When it comes to single-thread performance that is key to effortless pen computing, Apollo Lake is underwhelming and fails to deliver just like its Atom ancestor did. See here:
    Apollo Lake Celeron N3450
    Kaby Lake Core m3-7Y30

Apollo Lake is just Intel's next attempt at making lemonade from the lemon's of Intel Atom's failure in the mobile marketplace, and pen performance will only be worse when you have an ultra-high resolution display to render.

8. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni Pen Pal - Newbie

Idk buy
    you should check Aklima's videos of the chuwi hi12
    She seems to do a great job with it , you might have purchased the wrong ver tho

https://www.youtube.com/user/LocyK

9. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope, Goodix is garbage. It can create mark on the display, but that's it. Palm rejection is useless (cursor only show up while the pen tip is already pressed on the display), pen button is useless, too high IAF lead to skipping, heavy jitters, not to mention high chance of defect. No hover cursor >> impossible to do vector shape. It's even worse than a capacitive display.

Artist with the right software (pen stabilization+ post line correction) and patience (draw with huge zoom) can draw with anything that can make mark. I have seen people make amazing works with the stubby rubber capacitive stylus. I also did an artwork from scratch (include sketching) on a Goodix digitizer back when I tested it for the first time. It's possible, but it's detrimental to your workflow: lines not captured fully or accurate, too much fixes or undo, Impossible to do highly detailed works, hand fatigue due to no palm rejection. It take you like 3 times longer to draw a simple artwork on Goodix than on a Wacom EMR tablet,which is just unacceptable. And I don't think note taker will have time to come back and redo a badly written word like an artist would redraw/reshape a badly drawn line.

I also believe that anything higher than FHD on a sub 13" tablet unnecessary and a huge drain on battery and CPU power. Despite being called a failure, Atom Bay Trail and Cherry Trail is very capable on a reasonably configured machine. It can run Clip Studio reasonably well even with 2-3K artworks and like 20+ layers, is really light and fanless, affordable and really comfortable to bring outside.

10. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni Pen Pal - Newbie

That's some good info and details I wasn't aware about. Thank you for mentioning them.
    Atom tablets are meant to be versatile, And that what gives some companies like chuwi to make tempting dual boots, and that screen size is something I go crazy for.
    Which really blinds me from how bad my goodix experience will be.
    But that's how the market works with cheaper devices, you have to make s cut from one point.
    Even though I've dealt with the worst drawing devices ever I'm convinced that I don't want to buy a goodix tablet now thx.

But if goodix were to make a proper update to their tech they actually could have better potential on economic devices.