Chuwi Hi13 – 13.5” 3:2 3000x2000 with Goodix(?) Active Pen

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by kvoram, Feb 16, 2017.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Chuwi has announced their previously teased Hi13 tablet. The one remarkable thing about that one is that its screen has the same specs as the Surface Book, namely 13.5” in a 3:2 ratio with a 3000x2000 resolution.

http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-3596-1-1.html

Interestingly, Chinese device maker Cube will also use that display in an upcoming notebook.

I really wish some other manufacturer would use that display in a higher-specced device with an N-Trig digitizer…

The Hi13 is supposed to use a new Chuwi H3 pen, while being compatible to their previous H1 Pen.
    AFAIK, the pen supplier is Goodix. Does anyone here have any experience with Goodix pens? Are they in the same league as mediocre Synaptics Pens or even worse?

While it was previously said to be offered in a dual-boot option with Android, that seems off the table.

Price is going to be $369 (probably without pen and keyboard), pre-order starting Feb. 20

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron N3450 ‘Apollo Lake’ 1.1GHz, Up to 2.2GHz
    Graphics: HD Graphics 500 (200-700 MHz)
    RAM: 4GB DDR3L
    Storage: 64GB eMMC
    Display: 13.5”, 3:2, 3000x2000 (267 ppi), 1700:1, 10 Point multi-touch (400nits 100% sRGB)
    Pen: Chuwi H1/H3 Pen, probably from Goodix
    Camera: 2.0 MP Camera on both front and back
    WLAN: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G/5G Dual band
    Battery: 37 Wh
    Ports: 1x USB-C (“full-function”, so maybe including DP Alt Mode), micro-SD,micro-HDMI
    Keyboard: Optional, with 2x USB-A

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Marty and WillAdams like this.
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Chuwi Hi12 with the HiPen. I'm not sure if it's the H1, but I think it was the first pen tablet they released, so maybe? If so, it's garbage. Like, really really bad. I can't even take notes in OneNote. It skips badly and the pressure isn't even remotely smooth, so it ends up all blotchy when I try to push hard enough to get it to register consistently. I suppose I could try a new battery in it to see if it gets better, but it's never been anything close to usable, even for my light handwriting needs.

Fool me once Chuwi, shame on you. Fool me twice......nope. I was very interested in this device when it was first announced as I'd love to have a fanless giant tablet for sheet music, but not with that pen. Nope.

Starlight5, kvoram and WillAdams like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As @crazycat and @cutterline mentioned, according to last year's WinHEC slides (slide 39):

[​IMG]

Goodix is a supplier of MS Pen compatible touch controllers, meaning their pens should theoretically function like N-Trig pens...at some point. (This slide is most likely referring to the Dual-Protocol pen architecture that is still curiously missing despite Wacom's recent announcement.)

The question is: will their digitizers be firmware upgradeable to support the dual-pen protocol? Maybe we'll see something at the launch of the Win10 Creator's Update?

@violajack, for kicks did you try testing to see if a regular N-Trig or Synaptics pen on the Hi12 gets any sort of response? The best case scenario is that (eventually) you'll just be able to use a high-quality Surface Pen or Wacom Dual-Protocol pen on your Hi12.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    kvoram and WillAdams like this.
  4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

The chuwi does not respond to either my surface pen or my Sony active pen (both n-trig). My surface book does not respond to the chuwi pen. I don't currently have any Synaptics or Wacom AES pens to try.

Marty likes this.
  5. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't bother trying with other pens. It won't do anything :D. I doubt it will in the future as well, cheap tablet is just like cheap android, software update is like god sent. Their intended market is not discerning market but entry level market where features are meant for bragging against other cheap tablets.

Honestly I will stay away from these cheap Chinese tablet stylus unless they have proper wacom, ntrig or when the USI standard is properly followed. I experienced how bad Synaptics could be on their own. Using that as reference, those never-heard-of-Vendor would most probably do worse or just as bad.

N3450 with 3000x2000... I'd stay away from that. If that H3 pen is compatible with H1 pen, most probably that is not USI either.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  6. kvoram

@violajack Thanks for the info, I supected it to be bad, so it's good to know to stay away from it.

@Marty I don't think that the Microsft Pen Protocol will ever provide any compatibility with N-Trig. IMHO, that mostly serves to make sure that whatever MS is doing software-wise with Windows/Windows Ink will work without any issues with components from those partners. It is about making sure that those other pens work as expected within Windows (identification, drivers, coherent user experience etc.) than to provide any kind of interchangeable hardware compatiblity.
    Wacom had to buy a N-Trig license from Microsoft in order to start development on Wacom's dual-protocol pen. This is not a equally joint development, but rather one-sided. I guess other manufacturers could in theory do something similar buying a N-Trig license but since those are mostly aiming at lower costs, that to me seems very unlikely.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think basic Windows Ink compatibility is the first goal, but I'm pretty sure MS also realizes the negatives of customer confusion created by different protocols: Heck, HP has now applied the same "Active Stylus" moniker to three different protocols: Synaptics, Wacom AES, and now N-Trig! :D This situation is untenable.

With MS conspicuously not part of USI, it stands to reason they have their own plans for extending their "MS Pen compatibility" certification to include pen interoperability on Windows.

Of course, that is assuming a rational business plan :p, but lately I think MS has been on-the-ball with its product vision.

kvoram and WillAdams like this.
  8. kvoram

If only we knew what the product managers at those companies were thinking.
    And even more so, what the marketing folks are smoking/drinking/snorting/shooting when they are naming their products so incomprehensible.

We need to have a TPCR forum strategy session and devise a plan to infiltrate those companies and make sure they are steering in the right direction with their pen efforts :p

I am not sure what MS long-term goal for N-Trig is. They certainly want to position digital inking as another thing that Windows 10 has as an advantage over other platforms.
    I don't know if other OEMs can get access to the latest N-Trig stuff or if MS is keeping the latest developments in house to include them initally exclusive in the Surface line. They are certainly lusting after Wacom's core user base.

MS' product strategies over the past few years have been quite erratic, so I'll assume and expect anything and nothing.;)

9. cutterline

You reminded of this
    [​IMG]

kvoram and Marty like this.
  10. cutterline

Sorry, a double post. My internet went wonky

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017