Chromebook x2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Kumabjorn, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

2. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes but Google is swimming with no well defined strategy.
    That could very well be fixed by pixel branded chrome OS tablet and a pixel branded detachable Chromebook.
    There has to be a well defined reference hardware from Google.The pixelbook introduced recently should have been a detachable.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

artistebot likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

An excellent catch (when you caught it - my response is delayed) and keen observation (which, of course, is the only reason you post, unless you have sauce to dish out :p). The only thing I might take issue with is the "80% discount" [to SB2], simply because, while the comparison is a stretch on some key levels, I get it entirely (see below), but anyone who might have the X2 and SB on their shopping list would undoubtedly have either the loss-leader non-gpu SB2 ($1,200) or a closeout of the SB1 (800 - $950, new in box). So maybe 30% - 50% discount, your point lives on!

Seriously, though, it is very significant that the "pull-apart" tablet form factor is so rare that a $599 chromeos based device can be seen as real competition to a $1,200 SB2 (which is the loss leader version, the only one that I would imagine a prospective buyer would consider as an alternative to the Chromebook x2. What I have learned, through the ownership of SP2, 3 and 4, Toshiba Z20t and an SB (not 2) of which I have owned/returned 3 (see SB thread) :( and just gotten very unlucky with 3 wrong/defective units, going on my 4th, for $869 for the Skylake i5/8GB/256GB version. Bottom line: a clamshell design is very important to me and a separable tablet (lighter than even the SP w/o keyboard) really is the ideal form factor for a "2 in 1." The Z20t has some real design issues, including unreliable hardware in some, a far-from-stellar keyboard, screen only 1080p (can't believe I'm saying "only!" - but I am!) and very limited color gamut which makes the Wacom EMR less compelling for artists, though pretty much ok for note takers. Plus, of course, the Z20t is discontinued, though new/refurb and used units are available.

Thus my good lady, you have once again called it: when, and only when, the Chromebook X2 is released (May?), there will be a total of 2 offerings in this format, that, and the SB/SB2. Perhaps honorable mention to the also TBR Acer Chromebook tablet with EMR stylus.

***Key question: do you think the Android drawing apps are close to being acceptable substitutes to Windows apps, or are you mostly thinking note-taking and other tablet functions?

Edit: Why is there no apparent interest in this thread, while the Acer Chromebook tablet has attracted some 35 posts??

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    artistebot likes this.
  4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I have used many Android art apps, IMHO there are several really good art apps.

If you are interested in mostly "drawing" then you likely have used Sketchbook Pro, and that works very well on Android.

If you are interested in Painting, the Infinite Painter has full suite of tools comparable to photoshop in several ways. IP is also on iOS, but the Android version has more customization options.

There are several other apps too, such as TVpaint (FREE full professional illustration and animation app), ArtRage, Clover Paint (amazing customizablity) , ibisPaint (comparable to ProCreate) and Corel Painter Mobile.

I posted on my blog a "guide" to android applications, that while a bit dated, might be helpful:

http://www.artistebot.com/2017/01/since-there-seems-to-be-very-little_6.html

Both my kids have the Samsung Chromebook Plus and they use Infinite Painter and Sketchbook Po on them.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    lovelaptops likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thank you very much, @artistebot ; you have knowledge and experience I completely lack. I was asking the question more as a person who follows the market for innovative new devices rather, in this case, as one who wishes to buy a device for that particular use. I'm actually really glad to hear there are so many programs/"apps" (hate that term - in my ancient lingo, there was software and there were things called "utilities;" both are now called "apps." Things like Google Maps would have been called a utility. I think these kind of art "applications software" cross over - way over - the line of "app," unless we do decide to make all applications software renamed as "apps." Official end of rant.:thumbsup:)

So, what this does tell me is that it is very important that a device be sufficiently powered via cpu & ram for art, and that it does make a [potentially large] difference whether the digitizer is Wacom EMR or MPP/Wacom AES (kinda similar tech/similarly inferior to EMR but getting better all the time - agreed?). Thus that HP CBx2, with an excellent display w/EMR digitizer (I owned a Samsung Chromebook Pro for several months and can vouch for the screen quality and the very smooth SPen (EMR) inking properties, which all should be identical on the x2) could actually be better than the SB2 for artists, if you can vouch for the software side.

Now, if only the large producers actually cared about the digital artist market!:vboops::vbconfused: - that was the problem back in the 2000s and early teens, when mfrs looked at tablets with digitizers as vertical application devices and, oh yeah, them artists. Seriously, it would appear that the economics of the pen/battery are what would drive a Chromebook product, presumed to be used by students, some of them quite young, actually provides a window of opportunity for artists to get your hands on a good, well priced device with the beloved EMR digitizer and all the wonderful pens/pencils, etc. you can use with it, though they're not really thinking about you. Perhaps after a couple of years the non-EMR digitizers and pens will work as well and the battery issue will be, well, optimized. (I have never found - as a note taker - that the battery was a big problem. And they will be more plentiful as more AES-based convertible devices are sold.

Sorry, I really can drone on:vboops:

Edit: You are the first person I've ever seen who has an average of 1 like per post - outstanding!

artistebot likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Admittedly I compared it to a high end SB2 in an attempt to avoid apples vs oranges. Perhaps I extended myself there but my impression was that it is aimed at the same market segment, obviously storage will be cloud vs local.

As for Android art apps I think they are slowly coming around. Galaxy Note used to be the only pen based alternative so just a small niche. With Chrome you open up the education market and that should be a decent incentive for developers. So yes, I think we'll see more and better offerings.

Once available it will be interesting to see how it stands up in reviews. Wonder if Lisa will take it on?

artistebot likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No love for Medibang Paint? In my opinion that's the still current best Android Art App bar non. Unless the other apps received updates I wasn't aware of....Medibang offers the most functionality, Just having Layer Groups & being able to make a selection from a layer put it at the top of the totem pole. I'm still holding out hope that Clip Studio Paint makes its way to Android....so long as they make it as full featured as the ipad rendition....it would dominate all the other art apps.

artistebot likes this.
  8. tjrhine

tjrhine Pen Pal - Newbie

9. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

Does ChromeOS have onenote via the playstore?

I'd be all over this if Chrome OS had a snipping tool that was as good as in windows that could allow me to copy and paste small sections of the screen using my finger.

Does anyone have chromeOS on a tablet who can comment on this?

10. Kumabjorn

They claim you can run Android apps on Chrome and there is a OneNote app, don't know about a shipping tool though. But I agree that would make it incredibly useful.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk