Chromebook Spin 13 (Wacom EMR, 13.5'' 3:2)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, May 23, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Yes and no. I was born and raised in the US but I learned two "foreign" languages (Spanish and Latin) in secondary school and French in college. Funny, I just this saw a quiz on a TV news program guessing at the % of Americans who learn a foreign language in public school and learned that shocking 12% statistic for American students. We not only have an increasingly poor public education system, but it is horribly inequitable because it is largely funded by property taxes - wealthy communities have better schools and certainly require 4 years of foreign language classes while less well-off communities lack resources and their students at all levels are so far behind those in wealthier communities foreign language learning becomes a "luxury" they can't afford to even think about. Still, that number shocks me.

If we're generalizing, I totally concur with your generalizations about Africans writ large, though my experience is entirely anecdotal and most Africans I encounter have, though "natural selection," gotten out of abject poverty in their native lands and made it to the US or Europe, became educated and somewhat assimilated with their adopted countries. Talk about grit.

And I feel certain that the Acer Spin 13 Chromebook would be particularly useful for multilingual consumers. (Just bringing it back to topic! :p)

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It certainly would. Google is better on internationalization than Microsoft, for some reason. More diverse employees?

As for funding of public schools I couldn't agree more. The real stupid thing there though is that in poor locations you probably have more first generation immigrant children already with skills in a foreign language. And once you learn one, the next becomes easier. On the other end of the spectrum is that in wealthy areas arrogance often precludes interest in foreign languages and cultures. I call it the "We are better than them syndrome".

In Sweden kids from wealthier areas always scored lower on national tests for other European languages than English. But they did excel at English. Their reasoning is that if they travel abroad it will be too places like the USA, UK or Australia.

3. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

It still seems to me that if Chromebooks are going to suddenly up their game in one hardware area, they should be consistent and do so across the board--or at least give upgrade options on the motherboard. A completely locked down and soldered system isn't a good look on a thousand dollar laptop (which isn't even all that thin...).

lovelaptops likes this.
  4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But did you load this baby with 16 GB of RAM?