Chromebook Spin 13 (Wacom EMR, 13.5'' 3:2)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, May 23, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

He did call it Spin 11 a lot of times though (but caught himself). A point to take away is that he was impressed with palm rejection.

lovelaptops and Cuberdon75 like this.
  3. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the translation! This seems to be an educator who's very involved in chromebook school deployment. Probably not fully aware of this machine's capacities.

lovelaptops likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

I should also have mentioned screen resolution and he found it smooth and fast to adjust resolutions. He couldn't use the highest due to his "reading glasses".

lovelaptops and Cuberdon75 like this.
  5. lovelaptops

Are you a native Danish speaker? (Always assumed your name to be Swedish with Japanese and English language fluency as among the many "bonuses" of your being our forum pal/Queen :D! I was going to send it to a Danish friend to translate the gist of it. Any other salient take-aways from the review?

Fwiw, if Acer really nails the execution on this I'm pretty sure it's going to be "my next..." My Pixelbook has really become my go-to device for just about everything and the Spin 13 rights most of the wrongs of the PB and has the cpu oomph to make it a perfect Linux-->Windows multiboot device. If only they would offer a "real" SSD (even their top-end 128GB is eMMC) it would be darn near perfect - though I've learned from my PB (also eMMC) that those x-fer speeds never "feel" slow and further I have come to appreciate that i/o speed feel is more affected by something other than either storage or even wifi transmission rates, as most ordinary ops execute blindingly fast(er) on a well-spec'd chromebook (low end Pixelbook) as compared to, say, my wife's TPY X1 7th gen i5/16GB/512GB pcie/nvme SSD (Sammy 960).

I couldn't glean exactly how the reviewer found inking to be, though as a note-taker without @dstrauss 's cursed luck with non-EMR digitizers I'm fairly easy to please. Oh, but this *is* EMR! For us non-power users who value versatility and convenience above all, this has the makings of a real game-changer.

Cheers/Ciao/Peace :)

6. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm interested in this device pretty much for the exact same reasons you are. As for the eMMC issue, I console myself with the thought that it's still SSD and the real breakthrough was from HDD to SSD. (Besides, fingers crossed, there's a tiny chance there's an empty M.2 slot inside, no?)

lovelaptops likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Polyglotism is a burden we carry in stoic silence. And you can only be native in one language. Popular opinion is that bilinguals have native level in two languages, the truth is that they have it in none. They have working ability in two languages, but unlike a native speaker very few are able to enjoy poetry or write creatively. And yes, I know that some will protest mildly by claiming similar deficiencies. But in your cases I present your education.

Skickat från min SGP412 via Tapatalk

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

"[Our] education?" Your last sentence may have been roughly translated from another language? Regardless, I find you to be as literate in English as many writers I've known - regardless of education. :p

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Alas, you may perhaps not belong to the American tribe?

I was referring to the abysmal fact that less than 12% of US school children study a foreign language.

It always surprises me, because whenever I encounter fellow foreign speakers the Americans are surprisingly accomplished. There is a grit and determination in some of them that is the envy of the rest of us. Few however can beat the Africans.
    Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

10. lovelaptops

I agree with you re: eMMC speeds. There are many threads on Reddit, Chrome Unboxed and elsewhere full of PB owners who just refuse to believe that their fast-as-lightning machines could have eMMC storage - partly from the shock of having been swindled by Google's shockingly deceptive marketing (they generally refer to the drives in their first two tiers of Pixelbooks simply as "SSD," which is factually correct - eMMCs are "solid state devices" - but horribly deceptive given common parlance and their obvious desire to mislead consumers.) But, IMO, the larger reason owners have trouble believing that the disk in their PBs are eMMC is that they are so bloody fast! eMMC devices are now as fast as SATA SSDs were 5 yrs ago and smart and economical storage for mist uses whether soldered to the mobo or inserted as an SD or micro SD card.

As for space for an m2 drive, I'm sure it us physically possible but I'm guessing the system architecture would not support it.

Still and all, for reasons I've now drilled into the earth (!), the Spin 13 has strong potential to be the "device of the year" if 2018 and an equally strong potential to be in my bag before the year ends.