Chromebook Pro w/S-Pen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by bloodycape, Oct 15, 2016.

1. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Too much free time + Photoshop :thumbsup:

2. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

No doubt, especially since most reviews I've read seem favorable, part of the reason for my surprise. Just doesn't feel like a Chromebook deserving of it's price point (~$450). Good comparison is the new Asus Chromebook C302... higher quality aluminum build, similar price ($499), and feels like it's punching at its weight. No digitizer in the Asus, but trades ARM for Core M3.

Quick context: Been considering both the Samsung and Asus as a successor to the Dell Chromebook 13 that sits in my garage. I've owned a number of Chromebooks and enjoyed their cheap practicality for the couch or workbench. The CB13 still outperforms both by a decent margin, so looks like I'm staying put for now.

Enjoy your CB+!

3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got a Chromebook plus. It's pretty awesome. Android version of OneNote works well, super smooth inking. My sheet music reader MobileSheetsPro is fast and inking is great. I haven't messed with it much beyond those two things that are essential to my workflow. My old Lenovo Thinkpad stylus (x201t era) works great too, so I can leave the s-pen in the silo as a backup while using my favorite pen. I think this will go out with me to teach next week.

The build is a little flexier than I'd like, and $450 is on the high side for a chromebook, but for the screen and digitizer, with Android support being where it is now, this is looking like a very good buy for my use. The only other way to get an EMR screen in this size is the older Note Pro or waiting for the Galaxy Book and paying a bunch more. I could see this being a very solid student machine with OneNote and other Microsoft Office Apps accessible through the play store and all the Google stuff built in.

WillAdams and artistebot like this.
  5. artistebot

southdunes likes this.
  6. artistebot

I have not encountered the quality issues the reviewer has had yet, but overall I agree that the device is great.