Chromebook Pro w/S-Pen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by bloodycape, Oct 15, 2016.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Non-constructive Rant.

In light of how rough the chrome/android implementation is so far... Apple and MS did a much better job of introducing a new product line. Yes, this product is over-due, but Google may have already missed the bus.

The google/chrome developers should be beating down the door for Clover Paint and Infinite Painter developers. IMHO, Samsung has done an excellent job on their Chromebook Plus/Pro, now Google needs to deliver a compelling killer app.

On Nintendo it is Mario anything (maybe a bad example as branded Mario turds would sell like crazy)

On Xbox it was Halo

On Playstation Uncharted

On iPad Pro is ProCreate

On Surface Pro Adobe Photoshop (king of the hill..so yeh)

Clover Paint ALREADY has:

* keyboard shortcuts for most in-app functions

* It has a fully customizable UI.

* Deeply customizable tools and brushes.

What it NEEDS is:

* Lot of help getting the UI slicker/easier looking

* Hardware and Chrome compatibility.

Infinite Painter is a Photoshop-like deep image editing tool set with great brushes, filters and so on.

If Google/Samsung wants the device to be a viable art device, and actually compete with iPad Pro and Surface. These apps can be part of the solution. Right now it all looks like a shot-gun attempt to see what sticks, sloppy.

Fly in a pack of hot-**** developers with a truck-load of cash and 'get-er-done". The first device is out and the clock is ticking. Yeh, we know the altering course on the Google Super-Tanker is hard, this is an opportunity to get Android/Chrome to play with the big-boys.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Pen Pal - Newbie

I want to buy this, but there is still so much uncertainty over whether the stylus issues (mostly lag) are software or hardware-related that it's just impossible to tell if this will be useable as an art-centered device.

I was expecting this to be just as good as a galaxy note tablet. Is this still a reasonable expectation?

What can we reasonably expect to see ironed out in the next few weeks?

3. artistebot

I have the same questions. I have some doubts, but lots of hope too.

The real issue "may" by that the CBP will always be a Chromebook with "added on" Google Play Store, rather than a robust Android device?

It might be that the next decent "Note tablet" will be the Galaxy Tab S3, as its specs are very comparable to the iPad Pro 9.7?

I may still buy a CB+ as I have a couple worthless laptops I can trade to Best Buy and get one for about ~$220. I am still very happy with my Tab A 2016 sPen purchase for ~$220 during thanksgiving.

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  4. Cuberdon75

It's more than just the s3's specs that are comparable to the iPad 9.7--it is rumored to come in at $600!

I doubt it offers a near-$400 quality improvement (at least for art work) over theTab A 2016.

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apparently the Chromebook Pros are selling on eBay already? :vbconfused:

I thought they were supposed to launch in April and only come in the black version. Is this info outdated, or are these pre-production samples or something? (and if so, how did he get his hands them? :D)

6. Cuberdon75

From the item description: "This however is the Plus model. The word 'pro' is used to optimize search result."

Marty likes this.
  7. artistebot

Totally agree $600 is too close to the 9.7 iPad Pro price, even though the sPen is included (Pencil is +$100 separate)

With the slightly faster CPU (than A9X)/ Likely slower than A10X, and twice as much RAM. I suspect the performance will not be as good on Android as the iPP is on iOS.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. artistebot

I am looking for a simpler and more robust home computer for my kids. Also something liquid resistent, as my sons Macbook is now dead.

They use Chrome-books in school, but often play Roblox w their friends at home on a Macbook in addition to their school work. I am confident a Chromebook would work well for their non gaming activities, but for gaming it seems very limited?

With the release of the new Samsung Chromebook Plus/Pro and Google Play compatibility the device seems to offer much more that Chrome-books ever had in the past?

Specifically, would playing Roblox and Minecraft be viable on the new SCP? What is the difference between the Mac/PC version and the Android versions? The Samsung TV ad seems to suggest gaming as viable?

9. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you get to test it?
    What about IAF and lag? Any info on sampling rate of the digitizer? Anything north of 200 Hz will be great.

Gaming will be limited to android games from Google play store.

ChromebookOS is a new OS. They don't have to worry about with backwards compatibility with plethora of full blown programmes since windows 95. Nor is the fragmentation as bad as Android. I think it's an efficient OS and given the laptop grade CPU that cromebook comes with, it will be smooth (i think).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  10. artistebot

Android App test, and drawing apps: