Chromebook Pixel LS (2015)

Discussion in 'Google' started by Mr. Boosh, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just received this Chromebook today. Recently, since the addition of Android apps on ChromeOS, I've been using a Chromebook more and more. I do believe for 90% of people, all they need is ChromeOS.

I was using an Asus Chromebook Flip before, but with the low res screen , low RAM, and Rockchip SoC, I was not having the best experience (lockups, slowdowns, etc).

Anyway, if you want a premium ChromeOS experience but don't want to shell out $1000 for a Pixelbook, definitely take a look at the Chromebook Pixel (2015). This thing is really a wonderful piece of hardware. It is much heavier than my previous devices (even heavier than my Vaio Z Canvas), but it is top notch. The keyboard is very nice and the screen is absolutely gorgeous.

I will also say this is the fastest computing experience in Chrome that I've experienced so far; everything is instant. I don't think you would go wrong with either the i5/8 or i7/16. 16GB is probably overkill, but hey why not.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Mr. Boosh

I love this machine! Just saying.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Where did you score it? How much did it cost? I'm vacillating between pixelbook (owned, returned), chromebook pro (same, but just re-bought) and finding a used one like yours. Swappa has only i5/8GB/32GB versions for $600. I love the active display/Wacom EMR on the CBP and could probably do fine with the m3 and 4GB, but the keyboard is hard to live with. The thing that made me return the Pixelbook: learning that its 128GB "SSD" is just a low end eMMC chip. Something about $1,000 for a cell phone quality SSD, sticks in my side. Am I being foolish? As a practical matter, the PB didn't seem faster than the CBP and it's more storage limited because, unlike your Pixel, it doesn't have an SD slot. So unless I want to pay $200 more to get an additional 128GB of slow eMMC storage, the thing could actually max out on storage with lots of apps. Google just pisses me off, maybe even more than Apple. So arrogant! Even the backlit keyboard on the PB is bush league, can't really see key masks unless it's very dark ambient light. Just sayin...

4. Mr. Boosh

I was browsing both Swappa.com and eBay.com but eventually talked down a seller from $700 to $580 on eBay.

The Pixelbook looks very nice, but in all honesty, I've realized I just don't use the tablet form factor all that much, and I definitely would have no use for an active digitizer on a Chromebook (I think). I may try one eventually when they come down significantly in price.

The Chromebook Pixel LS really is a beautiful piece of hardware. All these years later I still think it's one of the coolest designed laptops. I've never had someone ever compliment my computer, but I've had two different people mention how nice, sleek, and industrial the machine is. The glowing LED light strip in Google colors was such a nice touch, I find myself looking at it often because it is quite beautiful.

It is a heavy laptop, but I'm ok with it. There's a full-sized SD card slot which is a nice addition.

5. lovelaptops

I quite concur with everything you say about the Pixel. Much the same applies to the Pixelbook, and I managed to score mine for a net $675. Not clear to me if/when the added 8GB of RAM or slightly faster cpu on yours would be of benefit in a CB. The PB is truly the most magnificent piece of hardware I have ever owned or handled. It's handy having the active digitizer just so that when I need to annotate something I don't have to switch devices, as I came to find the Pixelbook was my go-to device for 80%+ of what I've been doing. I found a PB on Amazon for $750 (with the Pen, but I have a Lenovo AES pen that works just fine on it) and there are a couple of Pixel LS on Swappa for around $550, but with 8GB and 32GB (no matter, since they have SD cards. I'm at a point where I'm trying to indulge a little more to have something I truly adore using. I do despise Google and there is one big flaw on the PB: the backlit keyboard is anemic and hard to see unless the room is quite dark. Is there anything besides the weight that you don't like about the Pixel LS? If not, perhaps I will try that next. Btw, same comments on the PB as you got on yours. I mean, in your hand, it's just magnificent, perfect industrial design and mfg. How's the keyboard on the Pixel LS?

6. Mr. Boosh

I believe for my use-cases there is absolutely no benefit to the 16GB RAM. I run an extension called COG which is a nice looking Task Manager for ChromeOS. The only time the memory and CPU were filling up is after I installed a price-finding extension called Honey. The system adapts for memory size for sure, as I see mine hovering around the 8GB mark, but I've never come close to filling it. I'm pretty good about tab management, I'd say I never go above 10 at a time, so I could probably even get by with 4GB. If something was to become super memory intensive on ChromeOS, I think it'd be on the Android side.

What do you use to annotate on ChromeOS, and what exactly are you doing with the pen?

I've been pretty happy with the hardware other than the weight. I've been experiencing some weird connection issues waking from sleep once and awhile, but I think it has to do with the current network I'm on and not the machine.

The keyboard is an absolute joy to type on. I don't know if it has the same functionality on the Pixelbook, but the lighting is adaptive and I feel senses your hands. The trackpad is fabulous, and when I went back to my Windows machine I was getting annoyed at the lack of gestures to swipe between tabs, open new ones, close, etc. I believe the key travel is almost twice that of the Pixelbook, but from what I've read it's enjoyable to type on your machine.

I believe you have a little light hiding in the USB-C port that signifies the battery life when you knock the case twice. On the Chromebook LS the lightbar lights up in yellow, green, or red in the percentage of the lightbar that corresponds to battery life. It's an awesome little touch.

I'm pretty sold on Chromebooks. I don't think I could use them for school because of everything integrated with OneNote, unless I found a better note-taking app, but for everything else it's more than adequate.

7. lovelaptops

Thanks. Early night fot me so Ill get back to you tomorrow.

8. lovelaptops

So, late in getting back to you. Been a busy time, actually rare for me these days. So, I really want to score a new CB. I returned the CBP and will get a PB or Pixel 2 on Swappa. The former is 785 and the latter is 550 in Good condition and 670 in Mint. At this point, it's not really about the money. I truly adored the PB but the P2 appears to have a far better keyboard (the PB's is very nice, just very short travel. Also the anemic backlight bothers me - probably more than it should. I'm really jonesing to get back into a Pixel product, have a large project to complete and though I have some nice keyboards, none are part of devices I like to use. Do you have any idea what the P2's display specs are? The PB's is 2400x1600, 400 nit and 72% aRGB (can't find a published sRGB value, forgot to measure it when I had mine). Also, though it's glossy, it does have decent glare-control surface. How does the P2 compare?

How do you feel about service on the P2? Will Google fix it, even for an exorbitant price? Can you get a replacement battery? The PB has a Kaby Lake i5Y, so no fan. Gets hardly warm. 8GB handles 20 tabs + 4-6 open Android apps with ease. Ever have issues with the fan on the P2? Heat?

You asked me what I use to edit PDFs with the PB. There are so many Android apps but my favorite is Xodo. Foxit works pretty well too. I didn't have enough work to do with it to spend a lot of time finding the best app for different purposes, but no doubt penable is still worthwhile to have, even on a CB.

I think I just sold/bought myself the Mint PB for $785. Please do let me know if you think I owe it to myself to check out the P2.

How are you feeling? Still on track to move home soon? Love to have an address for you (of course I used to) cuz there's a little thing I want to send you.