Chrome VS. MS in Enterprise

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by desertlap, Aug 26, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/26/...aptops-microsoft-windows-challenge-businesses

Despite the hype from Google and to a lesser degree the author, i just dont see this as a major challenge. In fact to reuse an old expression, I think they are burying the lead. The real story seems to be that Google is not going to release a follow up to the Pixel and leaving hardware to partners. When you add in what they already did to the Pixel Slate, the writing seems to be on the wall.

We have seen chromebook (and chromeboxes) make some inroads at low levels in our customers, primarily in highly shared use devices and things like kiosks and public access points.

But when it comes to a work provided employee's primary tool, virtually all are better served with a full on OS, mainly windows but also Mac. This is also still a primary drawback of Android. Apple is trying to make it with IOS, but I'd call the work incomplete so far.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    nnthemperor likes this.
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We renewed the phone contract, two weeks back, with a couple of Huawei (P30 pro for me) phones arriving along with a Pixel.

The pixel bricked itself after two days. I kid yee not. No way, that I could find, to restore. After a search it was obvious that it had happened to a LOT of people.

I'll never, ever, ever never, get another Google branded phone. Nope. Things happen but a phone is a VERY expensive item for what it is.

dstrauss likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Pixels are an interesting case. For us the appeal is getting the latest version of Android of first. As well as it being "pure android" plus it gets patches sooner than any other phones.

The cameras in the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a are identical and are in a majority of ways among the top, if not the top mobile cameras.

As to reliability , from what we have seen, the original Pixel was terrible, the Pixel 2 was better but not great and the current 3s are actually quite good with one notable exception. They still have a significantly higher out of the box failure rate (we categorize that is within the first 30 days).

However if they don't fail within that 30 day window, their reliability is actually a bit above average.

I'm really curious what you think about the P30 Pro. Probably wont be an option for our US customers, but certainly will be in Asia.

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I started with some random make of Android phone, as Windows mobile was finally dead and buried. It was okay, fast compared to the previous 950, but I didn't know how FAST they'd become until i moved to a Mate 10 Pro. Blimey. Eventually, after a P20 pro, I hit the Mate 20 x and finally a p30 pro (I'm moving back to a Mate 20 x as I really liked the large screen).

So far, the P30 pro hasn't given me one issue. Not one restart, no errors, no app crashes or anything. I'm not a person that uses a phone all day, every day, so I know that results can vary. The camera is, of course, my main focal (pun intended) point. It's superb. Video, on the other hand, could do with a bit of work but Huawei didn't market the device as a video recorder. Fair enough. (I have the GoPro for that stuff).

Here's a P30 pro video. It's... okay.

Either way, I would buy the P30 pro in an instant. Shame that the company faces a difficult future.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Yeah, that pesky spying concern really limits smartphone choices :p