Christmas!!! Stand alone tablet for 11 yr old artist, painting, cartoon, animation, manga P

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mom, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom

Mom Pen Pal - Newbie

Need advice please for a stand alone, portable, tablet/pad for Christmas.
    Budget up to $700
    Stand alone ( not hooked desktop)
    Wide variety of art applications and ease of use. Please help. Surface Pro?

2. Master Architect

Master Architect Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah that's tough because there's so many options. A Tablet PC is great but gives the child access to the web and malware and etc. and really needs parental controls turned on but even so there's some risks there. A used ipad pro may be good but they are so fragile you'll need a case plus the pen's $100 and children like to lose things! Because I'm a tech-guy, I went the tablet pc route and turned on parental controls but if I wasn't a techy, I would probably go for the ipad and tie the pen to a hefty case. Still, you should have some parental controls on it and it'll be hard to find one for that price.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If your kid is very PC savvy, something like Surface Pro would be good but otherwise iPad Pro 10.5 or Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 would be better.

There is a really light and thin Surface Pro alternative on sale today well under your budget. Well reviewed.

http://amzn.to/2hNsxIh

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Matebook is a very nice low-cost Windows tablet. You may also find m3 Surface Pro models in your price range this weekend. Whether you go Windows or iOS, make sure to budget for a copy of Clip Studio Paint. It's all the software your child will need.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'd go the iPad Pro route. It's the simplest route of all.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As another option I would fully recommend the Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6. Same price range, decent performance, and the pen and keyboard come with the tablet.

But how old is your kid? and what computing experience does he already have? Has he done digital art before? Like if he has no real experience with a PC.......I would also agree with the 10.5 Ipad Pro & Pencil being.....the easiest choice.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you want to save some money, you can get some great older systems on eBay.

One of my favorite models was the HP Elitebook 2760p. -They have a pen which pops out of a little holder built into the side of the device, and they can still run all today's modern software with no trouble. Here's one pre-installed with the current Windows 10 operating system:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Elitebo...605239?hash=item2cc986a3f7:g:C2QAAOSwXXxZUFAd

Here's one with Windows 7 pre-installed and a bit more memory:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBo...464187?hash=item1ec6b056bb:g:2YwAAOSwUKxYdms0

And here's one installed with Linux and even more memory:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBo...327256?hash=item3d4bb79418:g:1~cAAOSw41tZ44Sr

The nice thing about these machines is that they are user-upgradable, the parts are cheap, there's tons of information on-line about how to work with them, and it can all encourage the child to become proficient in computer and digital art tech. (I think it's important for an artist to learn about and master their tools.) They give a solid base, (I did two graphic novels on systems much like these), but they aren't the ultra-cool (and expensive) top-flight systems of today -so there's something exciting for a kid to strive and save up toward if digital art turns out to be their thing.

Plus it'll save you a bundle!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Emmanuel Fiadjoe likes this.
  8. Emmanuel Fiadjoe

Emmanuel Fiadjoe Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, I'm new, I just registered a few minutes ago.
    I own an hp EliteBook 2760p and have windows 10 installed on it. I bought it used.
    Which stylus will work best on it for writing?
    Also, does the EliteBook 2760p work with finger touch? Mine doesn't

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Elitebooks come with their own pens. They're tucked under one corner in a little stylus slot. If you don't have one, you'll have to pick one up on eBay or somewhere. Any Wacom "Penabled" pen from that era ought to work.

The 2760p does have a touch screen (for fingers).., sort of. I found it pretty crude by today's standards and didn't bother with it and just did everything with the trackpad or pen.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. Emmanuel Fiadjoe

Emmanuel Fiadjoe Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. I might be asking too much here, but could you help with some names? I went to the wacom site, not sure if their current bamboo ink (for windows using AES or MPP) would work on my old tab.