CHOMP Toolbar (latest version 0.67)

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Takanu, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Takanu

Takanu Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]

DOWNLOAD LINK CLICK ME CLICK ME CLICK ME
    (click on the Source Code button at the bottom).

This is a new artist toolbar for Windows Tablets, using the awesome slatepal script by Gahfe with some tweaks (Link), and is based on the original AHK tech by this dude (http://39kasen.sakura.ne.jp/rawinputcontroltest/). Featuring media controls and an elegant user interface, the CHOMP Toolbar enables various creative apps to be used effectively without the need for a keyboard or mouse.

The toolbar is confirmed to work with the following tablets (some touch profiles for one tablet will work for others not listed here, the best way to check is to try it out yourself :D):
    • Surface Pro 1/2/3
    • Sony VAIO Duo 13
    • Sony VAIO Flip 15 (im guessing the entire VAIO range with touch support works?)
    • Samsung Slate 7
    • ASUS EP121
    • HP Slate 500
    • HP TM2
    • Thinkpad X201
    • Thinkpad Yoga

If your tablet works and it isn't listed here, message me and i'll add it to the list. If your tablet doesn't work and want to get it working, check out this guide I made: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/guide-getting-your-tablet-working-with-touch-toolbars.63949/

It currently supports the following 13 applications:
    • Default/Windows Explorer
    • Blender (Sculpt mode only, Edit and Object Mode WIP)
    • Krita
    • Substance Designer
    • BlackInk
    • Mischief
    • MyPaint
    • Internet Explorer
    • Google Chrome/SRWare Iron
    • Photoshop (preliminary)
    • Clip Studio Paint
    • ZBrush
    • Substance Painter

In the end however I want to support the following applications:
    • Inkscape
    • GIMP
    • Silo
    • 3D-Coat
    • ArtRage
    • Illustrator
    • 3DS Max
    • Maya
    • Sketchbook Pro
    • Paint Tool SAI
    • Telegram (?)
    • Tribler (?)
    • Ormr (?)

Some of these toolbars are already in development but I am yet to finish. 3D-Coat, Illustrator, 3DS Max, Maya and Sketchbook Pro are applications I require assistance in understanding what shortcuts are needed by the userbase, as I don't own them and am not sailing the pirate seas to get them (I align myself with programs that don't cost half the price of a car to own ^-^). If you use these on a regular basis, could you please suggest useful toolbar commands as well as their shortcuts inside the application, so I can design custom icons and layouts for them.

The toolbar also features media controls, as most tablets don't feature easy to access volume controls or any playback controls, plus it acts as a nice buffer to prevent RSI when using the toolbar. Any critique or feedback would be greatly appreciated :3.

Installation Instructions:
    1) Download AutoHotkey_L from the following location (download the latest version) - AutoHotkey Downloads
    2) Install the executable, it can either be the 32 or 64 bit version to my knowledge.
    3) Use the download link at the top of this post to download the CHOMP Toolbar.
    4) Extract the ZIP file to your desired location.
    5) Double-click the 'chomp' file to run the toolbar. An icon should appear on the Windows dock, that you can right-click on the quit the script when you need to. If you want to open the toolbar more easily, create a shortcut for the chomp file, that you can move wherever you like
    6) To change toolbars, tap the toolbar header when the app you want the toolbar to change to is active. The toolbar will detect the app and automatically switch.

Known Issues
    1) The padding goes weird when tapping the header
    2) For some reason, touch input passes through Metro apps and onto the toolbar. If you plan on using full-screen metro apps, or metro apps that occlude the toolbar, disable or exit it first.
    3) For some tablets, the buttons may become stuck on a 'pressed' state. Tapping them again will resolve the issue.

NEW VERSION 0.67 (22/11/2014): (Link)
    The toolbar adjusts the Mischief toolbar to make it usable with the new 2.0 release, as well as (hopefully) for both paid and free versions of the app. The plugin has also now moved onto GitHub, for easier maintenance and releases, as well as accessibility.

For a full list of changes and additions, check out the release log inside the download.

For anyone using N-Trig based tablets, they have recently provided comprehensive Wintab drivers to enable stylus pressure for all the applications this toolbar will eventually support. Go get em! (Link)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Takanu,

I can’t test your toolbar because I don’t have a Duo 13 but I’ll say it anyway:

IF THIS WORKS ON THE DUO 13, GREAT JOB!

From your comments in the file, it looks like you came up with the profile by trial and error but congratulations for successfully adapting this script for an N-Trig system. I believe this is the first time this has been done (maybe artists in the Surface Pro 3 like-o-thon threads will be interested in your approach...) In addition, not only is this, to my very limited knowledge, the first N-Trig adaptation of this kind of script (from which another one named ArtDock has proven to be quite popular around here), but maybe your strategy of just trying stuff will prove to be somewhat general in adapting this kind of script to other systems.

In any case: well done!

Note: I suggest you should more clearly acknowledge the original creator of this script: RawInputControlTest.ahk
    He did all the development work.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  3. Takanu

Takanu Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought nearly all tablets used an N-Trig system, huh. Theres still a few issues, which I don't know if ill ever be able to solve because its the most intimidating piece of code i've ever had to read. A few of the variables such as TouchIDMinimum and TouchIDMask I have no earthly idea what thay do, but changing the variables don't seem to make the profile work any less. I will post a guide at some point as to how I found the variables for my tablet, but this toolbar should work with a bunch of other tablets too as there are a bunch of other touch profiles included.

I added an acknowledgement, thanks for the heads up :)

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

WOW.

I'll have to try this when I am not so D&MN busy. Thanks Takanu and welcome to the forums!!

SP3 users would kill for this....

5. Takanu

Takanu Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks ^-^. At some point ill be exporting all icons and assets used for this into different sizes, so it can be adapted for different tablet screen DPIs.

6. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi Takanu.

yeah that code is very complex...

I don't know if you know already this stuff, but I've described somewhere else how the original developer, a genius named Koide, proceeded to develop new profiles (at least some of the steps that were involved). Maybe it can help you figure out what some of these parameters mean?

In any case, if you're interested, you can look at the last part (point 3) of post #39 in a thread that's related to this kind of script:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/artists/58400-artdock-guide-compatibility-links-4.html#post343381

That post will take you to another one of my posts in a thread called Apps for Tablet PC. In these two posts, you will find two different tools that the original developer shared in order to develop new profiles. Maybe that can help you, maybe not. Or maybe you already knew about all of this.

By the way, most Windows tablet PC are Wacom, not N-Trig but the fact that you were able to adapt the script to an N-Trig device is a real breakthrough as many users around here have been asking about it (although I'm not sure anyone really tried anything with the code).

7. Takanu

Takanu Pen Pal - Newbie

I did figure out what most of the parameters mean, but I didn't actually use that tool, although that would definitely be helpful in figuring out how to create touch profiles. I looked at various forums and posts and found a bunch of other HID tools, one in particular that prints a a hex string for the touch device. Then from that you figure out what bytes are communicating what pieces of information about the touch input. It took me a full day to understand what each parameter in the touch profile was, then find the bytes in that string that communicated that information.

I'll post the tool as well as how I found out the parameters for my device soon, its going to take a bit to write up nicely :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Beautiful icons @Takanu. The toolbar loads and looks fine on the Surface Pro 3, but it doesn't really respond very well to either pen or touch. I can hold down an icon for a long time and I see the flash of something that's perhaps try to load. If I load up a program like Mischief, the toolbar icons will change after a while (don't know if that's automatic or based on my long taps).

Any suggestions on what I might try to make it work?

9. Takanu

Takanu Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh that's awesome! What flash do you see exactly? The buttons have a white colour when held, but that should be it. If you press anything else other than a button on the media toolbar, it will flash because all the framing in that bar are a series of buttons, as I wasn't able to create a separate colour any other way.

Currently im using a dock type that still buggy even on the Duo 13 and will be getting round to fix, sometimes if you tap the dock background rather than the button it will think you're tapping the header and try to 'search' for the current app you're using. If the active window isn't Mischief then it will switch. Other than that I don't know why thats happening sorry, although I dont own the tablet i'll do what I can if you can try to tell me more about the issues you're experiencing.

Also, there may be position issues depending on the screen, it seems that your tablet is most likely using the Duo 13 configuration, and as they're screens arent identical in resolution or sceen size proportions, it may be mislocating screen touches. I'm not sure if thats the issue, but i thought i'd give you a heads up anyway. I will be posting information on how to create a touch profile for any device (the data the script uses to understand how your touchscreen works), so if it is the issue, you'll be able to create your own profile to resolve the issue.

Also, VERSION 0.55:
    - Added a preliminary Photoshop toolbar. I will be adding a 2-row toolbar as well, although I am probably going to need some keybind suggestions for that as i'm not sure what else to add.
    - Added a preliminary Clip Studio Paint toolbar.
    - Added camera controls and more icons to the Blender toolbar.
    - Replaced all volume controls with slider buttons until the slider issue is fixed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkx9pcbmoo4p6f2/CHOMP Toolbar 0.55.zip?dl=1

No bug fixes yet, I will be delving into the dark script soon though C:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  10. reloaded

reloaded Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello. As mentioned earlier Surface Pro 3 users would go crazy for a script like this. I recently purchased a Surface Pro 3 and am on the fence about keeping it or returning it before the 30 days. That fence is getting reeeeeaaally wobbly. I found this thread via a string of attempts to find an Art Dock like solution for the Surface Pro 3 from Surface Pro Artist which led me to a thread on tool bar creator http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/63014-toolbar-creator.html#post401226 . Sorry if the links are messed up.

I want to be able to use the SP3 as a sketch device for both Photoshop CS6 and Zbrush r4r6 coming from the EP121 with Art Dock (wacom tech). However the Toolbar creator doesn't seem to work with touch. When I tried this script it didn't seem to run on the SP3 or recognize Photoshop CS6. I had learned enough about AHK to create custom "Docks" on the EP121 and for a brief time the SP2 (too narrow to sketch with). I know with Art Dock the script had to be modified to work on different machines. Is it possible that might be the case with this one and the SP3? Either way it's so awesome there people like you that take the time to try these things and get these kinds of tools up for people to use.