Cherry Trail For SPro 4...Anyone

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Feb 13, 2015.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

There is always the Celeron and Pentium based Bay-Trail devices, which support real SSD; but, unfortunately Sony(Flip 11a) was the only one to offer such cpu with a digitizer(n-trig) I think 512gb SSD was optional in Asia, while most places had a max of 256gb as an option. The unfortunate bit is the lack luster battery life(5 hours for an 11in that size is not good in my book), or else it's seems like a very nice device. If it weren't for the battery life it would be my current machine.

On a semi-related note, do you think Cherry Trail will be enough of an improvement to justify waiting a few months? Will quad core now be standard? What about 4gb of ram?

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Quad core is already standard with bay trai.

The issue with battery life on the non atom bay trail SoCs was they didn't support S0iX (active sleep states).

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If you decision isn't an immediate need, I'd wait. As for 4gb ram, Fuji has offered that for awhile with Atom, but without 64bit OS, you only effectively get another 1mb ram (+/-); the bigger bottleneck in my mind is eMMC storage - only a fraction of the speed of a real SSD. Now, drop in 64bit Win10, 4gb, and 128gb SSD into that puppy, and we are talking.

bloodycape likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Might be more than a few month wait. http://www.fudzilla.com/news/notebooks/37040-mobile-braswell-pentium-coming-in-q3-15 I'm not a happy camper, given the utter lack of small Core M tablets and my desire for speedier performance on my 8" tablet.

bloodycape likes this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Not immediate per se, but Tegra 3 and 2gb ram combo is bottle necking just browsing the web and opening websites. I was thinking 8in Encore 2 Write, but all the talk here about 2gb of ram still not the best has me either thinking current 10in w4gb of ram that fits my needs the best or wait and hope I don't throw my Yoga RT out the window.

Then again Surface Pro 4 in a thinner 10.6in form factor with n-trig pen, 4gb of ram and 256gb SSD does sound tempting.

6. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

The Surface Pro line is a premium product. MS will let the low-end of the market get free Windows 10 and use Atom chips.

With the death of the Surface RT, there might be room for an Atom, but I think MS wants to play in the upper levels,

7. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

I am with you on all of this. I don't want anything slower than an I7 but I don't need the full capacity of the I7 all the time and when I need the full power of the processor I plug in the charger.

However I like to go to remote places, and being able to run the tablet in very light usage mode for 10+ hours is definitely a plus for me. Of course, I then disable Flash player and I shutdown the WiFi if I don't need it. So I don't need the processor to be running at full power for 10 hours on battery, not at all, but I would like to attend classes for a full day taking notes and reading references without having to recharge. I think that Microsoft Ingénieur Extraordinaire can do that with Intel's this year offerings and I believe that he is actually working precisely on that ... I hope so.

The SP4 might come with a removable back (like the Galaxy Note) so people needing more battery could buy larger ones -- that's exactly what I did with my Note. I ordered a Mungen kit and I can now use my Note for two days without a recharge compared to six hours with the stock battery. The device is a bit thicker but I don't mind. That's completely the opposite of Apple's approach.

8. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, for work i have dual-xeons (24 cores and up), equipped with MASSIVE graphic card-arrays and fast raids - we need that, movie production is demanding.

Also for work - i have a (quite heavy) desktop replacement notebook - with 17´3d screen, internal ssd raid + nvidia gpu etc.

For work & home i have a Sony Vaio Tap 11 - that is quite exactly a Surface Pro 3 - haswell core i5/7, Nt-Trig, 11,6 screen, fast ssd, usb3 + hdmi + cardreader, screenprotector/keyboard (and wwlan/umts, gps, nfc, ir-remote & good camera, thats why i choose the vaio over the SFP3).

but guess what i use most @ home:
    baytrail!
    on the asus vivotab note 8. always silent, veeeeery long battery runtime (in my profile, whole day) - and the baytrails have more than enough power for office & photoshop, interenet explorer & chrome, even painting with artrage, manga studio / api9nter X3 / krita is fun. Heck i even use blender (3d cgi) ad some standard games (hearthstone, civilisation, tropico) on it.

in fact, the speed of these baytrails is like a 2011/12 core i5 ulv:
    http://www.umpcportal.com/2014/03/d...eats-2-5-year-old-core-i5-tablet-in-cpu-test/

so, regarding a fanless Surface pro 3 with bay/cherrytrail: i would be quite interested (but even more in a 6-8 surface pro mini with baytrail, umts/wwlan, ntrig, fHD).

Regarding Apple: they DO sell cheap & bad products - all the time.

I am (meanwhile rather was) apple-customer for over 20 years - and my ipad only collects dust, my macs are sold, pretty much the same @ work. btw, the 2010 ipad, even if bought 2011 - got updates only until 2012! one year after buying, millions of user were moved to the planned obsolence - my vivotab note 8, my vaio tap 11 will get updates at least until 2023 (with free win 10 upgarde even 2025). the iphone doesnt have wwlan/3g/umts, as well as no gps (min iphone3) - and macbook airs have a 1366*768 screen (not 1920 or 2560 as vaio or surface pro), the "flagship2 mac has heavily downclocked 2011 AMD graphics as best option and no dual-cpus (our xeon workstations delivers more than than triple the cpu and more than quad the graphics performance). So dont fall for the marketing. apple seels cheap stuff whenever they can.

back to surface pro::

my wish would be microsoft expanding their offerings with

surface pro 3 micro
    6 & 8 models
    digitizer
    baytrail + 4gb + win 64
    fHD
    3g/umts or 4g/lte+gps (including phone function especially on the 6 phablet)
    good cam

surface pro 3 silent
    same chassis
    completly silent, fanless, baytrail
    and also 3g/4g/umts/lte + gps - at least as option.

gaidin43 likes this.
  9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I don't ever see MSFT using ATOM in their main surface line, or surface's for that matter. They are trying to go head to head against Macbook Pro's/Airs. Even the lowest spec'd MBA (11") is running on an intel i5.

I just see MSFT using Core M as the lowest type of chipset, or a really throttled down broadwell chip. They need to maintain the image that they are using high quality components in their products. How else can you justify the price points of 899/999/1299 for a tablet/laptop hybrid?

10. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Scribbler - Standard Member

Disagree. Ditching Flash is critical to push the industry. Had Apple supported Flash, we might not have HTML5 penetration like today. That's why they're ditching USB Type-A and Thunderbolt now. And they were the first to ditch the floppy and optical drives
    While running Google Chrome

This! Its a common strategy in other industries. Theres Scion/Toyota/Lexus, Skoda/VW/Audi, etc.
    Yet the PC industry doesn't seem to get the idea. If, say, Acer separated their crappy Chromebooks and their S7 laptops, their S7 would benefit A LOT from it. Same goes for Asus Zenbook UXwhatevernumber and their crappy laptops.