Check if Thinkpad Yoga really has digitizer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by jedah, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys:

I bought a refurbed S1 Yoga from Blinq, but the digitizer doesn't seem to be working, even though it shipped with a pen. I tried to look up my model number in the below doc, but couldn't find it (20C0001HUS).

http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/ttcbook.pdf

I also went under device manager, and didn't see either "HID-compliant digitizer" listed anywhere.

I tried to download the digitizer firmware update located below, but received an error ("connection was not established. Update could not be performed").

Is there another way to tell if this device was supposed to have a digitizer?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

jedah likes this.
  3. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. Looks like my Yoga failed the Wacom hardware test in that link.

The digitizer also didn't show up when I booted the laptop to Linux from a USB. I think someone either slid the pen into a laptop with no digitizer support. Or the digitizer layer is broken. Either way, this thing is going back.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. Tough break!

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Blinq offers a 30 day unconditional return/refund. Sounds like you need it! That said, for several months they've been selling a number of TPY Gen 1 versions, some with and some without digitizers. If you read the product description, they always mention the digitizer if it has one. Last I checked it cost all of $612 to get an i5/8GB.128GB (upgradeable) and mine arrived in brand new looking condition in the original box and 5 months left on the wtty, which I upgraded to 4 yrs, NBD, ADH for $180.

6. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I made the assumption that if Blinq's description says that it comes with the pen (which it did) , the digitizer in the screen would work. I'll look up the model number for now on.

I considered the model you mentioned. As this is a secondary machine for me for the purpose of portability (would have replaced a Samsung Ativ 500t), I didn't feel the need to pony up the extra for the 8GB version. I've also seen Blinq sell that same model for less before (with digitizer), so I'm kinda holding out for them to lower the price again. It's not an emergency for me to upgrade, so I can be patient.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hmm. I hadn't seen them for less with digitizer, though I don't pay attention to the 4GB RAM models. For anything less than $100 price difference, if you can afford it, I would still advise you to go for the 8gB. Standard reasoning here: can have more multitasking without any performance hit, "futureproofing" (definition: a way to justify getting the pricier model :p - seriously, programmers tend to assume certain hardware support will be there on newer machines and write applications optimized accordingly - or so I'm told. My personal favorite reason, only when it pertains to RAM that can't be upgraded later (as, say, SSD can on this machine): resale value. It's a virtual lock that, for next 3+ years the cost of going up to 8GB now will be repaid if you go to sell it later - again, as long as the differential is reasonable - around $100, even $125 for some machines.

Last "tip" regarding Blinq (who are owned and run by nice people who are pretty much always ready to do the right thing even if initially their CSR rep says no) : If there is anything at all noticeable on a used, open box or refurb you buy from them (eg, the battery is down 4%, there is a scratch you find that is annoying, far from deal-breaking, etc, you report it to Cust Svce and offer to keep it as is for a discount, and they will almost always agree to cut items over $500 by $100 - $150, items over $1,000, as much as $200 taken off (eg, I had Sony Flip 13A advertised as Open Box but turned out to be refurbed (no original box and packing - for resale - and no mfrs wtty available as they are with a good many of their open box and even some used ones), though otherwise pretty much perfect. Price was $650, they marked it down to $425 for me to keep it.

Note: I have no relationship - financial or otherwise - to this company, though I've had occasion to complain once to the CEO about how a transaction was [mis]handled and he introduced me to the COO, who has since been incredibly accommodating and generous when I've had issues I didn't feel CS handled fairly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.