Cheapest all-day battery life device: Windows laptop or Android tablet?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by def_now, Dec 3, 2018.

?

Cheapest all-day battery life device

1. Buy an 10 inch Chuwi/Teclast/Alldocube Android tablet + USB keyboard with $160

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Buy a Acer/Lenovo/ASUS 11.6 inch Windows Atom/Celeron laptop with $270 - $290

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buy a cheap third party replacement battery for my old Windows laptop with $30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. def_now

def_now Pen Pal - Newbie

I am looking for a device mostly to browse the web, read eBook and magazine PDFs and watch YouTube on weekend at home. So a WiFi-only device is fine.

However, on weekdays, I may bring it out for some productive work like document, spreadsheet and presentation slides creation using Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides. The area where I work may not have Internet connectivity from a public WiFi hotspot, or even a power outlet. Thus, I need a device that I can use for 8 hours on a full charge. I am also not sure if the Android apps for Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides can work offline without network connectivity.

I do not care much for high resolution display, or the front/rear camera which I do not ever use. They can give me a 0.3 megapixel or 2 megapixel camera for all I care. I am happy with a 100+ DPI IPS display.

Currently, I also have an old Windows 7 laptop dating back to 2011. Its battery is dead and can only last 30 minutes on a full charge.

I have 3 options:
    1. Buy an 10 inch Chuwi/Teclast/Alldocube Android tablet + USB keyboard with $160
    2. Buy a Acer/Lenovo/ASUS 11.6 inch Windows Atom/Celeron laptop with $270 - $290
    3. Buy a cheap third party replacement battery for my old Windows laptop with $30
    For option 3, I do not think a $30 replacement battery is a 9-cell or 6-cell high capacity one that allows me to last 8 hours. I believe it may be a 3 cell battery that can do 3 to 5 hours at best.

I am looking for the cheapest option that best fit my needs. Which would you recommend? My personal gut feel is that an Android tablet would suit me best since it would do what I need and cost less than the cheapest Windows laptops. Cheap Windows Atom/Celeron laptops would probably not be able to reach 8 hours of battery life which an Android tablet may be able to.

Advice and recommendation are appreciated. Thanks.

2. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My experience is that I have only gotten close to all day battery life on ipads that aren't too old (my ipad air 2) and my instinct is to go for a used ipad air 2 or something. Their operating system and power management is pretty fantastic

Other members please correct me if I'm wrong

Anyone had luck for all day battery life with android? The cheap requirement is problematic

3. thkn777

thkn777 Pen Pal - Newbie

We got 2 different Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 and both show great stamina. I can easily draw many hours on it or watch videos.

To my mind it comes down to the screen brightness, basically. You wont find a device that lasts 8hrs+ with 100% screen brightness and heavy load.

If I were you I'd go with my Tab A tablet plus a 10.000 something power bank (got one from Anker and am happy with it). Plugs into the USB port and is small enough to sit at the table right next to the tablet. That solution will last all day long.

If you go for Windows, its a close call. I got a Medion Atom based 11 inch Win10 notebook. Took me ages to find because I absolutely wanted a matte IPS screen in a low cost device. 6hrs+ non stop office work with good screen brightness is no problem. I use this for web browsing and everything where I need a keyboard as I kinda dislike on screen keyboards in landscape mode on tablets or smartphones.

Hope that helps.
    Th.