Cheapest 15" laptop for drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by colorsdiary, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

AES is performing like the old tablet PC EMR in terms of slow diagonal lines - slightly wobbly. Microsoft is still moderately wobbly but it's getting better. Funny how Apple got it right on the first try. The technology is fine, it's the implementations that suck.

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not that I've seen yet. Seems to be an inherent issue with the technology which will always hurt anyone who wants a tablet for drawing / inking that is going to include shading / hatching the drawing.

Can I ask a question on the Note 9 Pro? The screen resolution seems to be 1080p - I'm 54 and I use varifocals now (eyesight going down the pan) - I also have closeup glasses for my commercial 3D clay work and I can see better than I could at 20 with these specs.
    Will I notice pixels on a Note Pro screen? I still love the iPad Pro 12.9 screen (did another test yesterday at the Glasgow Apple store) but I could get an American friend to pick up an open box Note Pro for a similar price to the iPad Pro from the USA.
    As it is I'm waiting to see what Apple does with the new Pro in October before I splurge some cash but it would be around November that I buy either a new Apple or an open box Note Pro 15 inch.

Thank you, I absolutely have not agreed many of the anti iPad Pencil reviews I've seen on the forum and elsewhere - I absolutely can put my pen down exactly where I want to and the drawing happens at that point. I've tried at least 4 different iPad Pros in 3 years now and my eyes tell me it is really accurate and the lines are excellent. However I still read people saying it can't be used for art...

Now it's this (an iPad Pro) or a Note Pro for my mobile inking and drawing - I refuse to look at the Galaxy Book or any other EMR tablet.

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You'll see pixels. It's 146.86 PPI. With good eyesight, you can differentiate that many pixels in an inch. The Dell Canvas has 108.79 PPI, so it's only... 38 PPI down from the Samsung, for reference.

I've only not seen pixels on Android/Apple tablet and phone screens.

Once I get working, I don't notice it; the illusion is excellent. But I still think it must be pretty cool to draw on a device with a super high ppi, especially for the initial 'Wow' factor when first opening it up.

I still live in the boonies, apparently, when it comes to electronics. I've handled an iPad Pro, but not with an accompanying stylus. They didn't even have one in the store, but gee, they could order one for me!

But from what I've seen, the Apple system looks excellent, with the standard caveats. (No cursor, barrel button, power user software etc.). -I bet if my Dell Inspirion 7568 had come with AES performing as well as Apple's is reported to do, then I might still be working on it.

WillAdams and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Companies like Apple, Microsoft and Samsung have IMO, demonstrated that they can get anything right - if they care to. Other mfrs - like HP, Dell, Asus, etc, just lack the depth of design/engineering talent or they are constrained by price points in ways that especially Apple and MS are not. For the latter two companies, if they want to make something happen, they can and will do it, and if it adds $100 or $100s to the price, they don't care and neither, apparently, do their customers. What galls me is that they both "decide" what matters - Apple apparently decided they wanted to make a perfect AES stylus implementation, but also decided that sucky keyboards don't matter. MS has gotten so much right with hardware yet has apparently decided that consumer software just doesn't matter enough to them to always get right, and with all their alleged focus on inking, they clearly haven't seen fit to implement Ntrig the way it should work. I find it doubtful that the core technology can't enable drawing straight lines - and if it is that flawed, MS can easily afford to trash MPP and adopt AES and get it right, as Apple has. I firmly believe that with the "giants," it's solely a matter of will/desire, and "if you don't like it, we don't care!" Samsung strikes me as having fewer hidden or contradictory agendas; they just trip over themselves with consumer product design, always have. Great technology, just don't understand the machine/human interaction the way a company of their size and depth should by now.

Word. :p

5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tried the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 and its 216ppi display?

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Mine (Surface Book 2) is like this:

Wish I could give a try to a Dell Xps 15 2 in 1 to see how it performs...

ATIVQ and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No... I really need to pay a visit to a computer shop in civilization.

The computer section at my local box store (Staples) reminds me of one of those picked over groceries from the Walking Dead.

kneehowguys likes this.
  8. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't see the pixels on my GB12.
    It's incredible.
    The bad side is that on all my other devices, especially my old cintiq 21ux, since I use the GB12, I struggle not to focus on all these visible pixels. Really!
    And what I noticed with this kind of high resolution is that you can accept a smaller screen because it's easier to work and to watch with lower zoom.
    It's more a matter of how you like to move your hand or arm while drawing.

WillAdams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.