Cheapest 15" laptop for drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by colorsdiary, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colorsdiary

colorsdiary Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting
    interesting

Is it really that drastic of a difference ?

I think I can load a highly detailed psd file to try that out !

Though, I really think PS is to blame largely, it really is filthily hungry.

Also, does this mean working light on a computer shows a singificant reduction in battery consumption ?
    Did you try this, and do you know if for a fact, or is it within the realm of theories ?

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Just keep the task manager always in foreground when working and monitor how much cpu and gpu your computer uses while doing brushstrokes and moving the canvas.
    When every one of your brustrokes starts to use 40-50% of a quad core cpu instant power, it's no wonder the battery drains so fast.

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There is also the basic fact that EMR requires the digitiser board to be constantly producing a magnetic field to detect the pen's location (and tilt if supported) whereas AES / N-Trig has the power drain in a (usually) rechargeable pen so the battery will always drain faster on an EMR device.

Personally, I think because the artist market is such a niche that EMR devices will become more and more expensive. Certainly the industry has gone from charging £1500 for an EMR device to now charging £1500 for an AES device as AES allows bigger profit margin.

4. colorsdiary

From what I understand, are you suggesting that magnetic pen digitiser devices drain the device's battery faster ?
    I don't think that's necessarily the case.
    While it is true that magnetic devices requires continuous production of a magnetic field, it is not that much of a drain. smartphones and tablet devices are good examples. They don't drain crazily fast when using the pen continuously.

On the other hand, although battery powered styluses drain compared to magnetic ones, their drain is very light, and they're not the main component of the signal being produced. First, we know that the device itself needs a supported board. Second, and more importantly, using advanced stylus will not necessarily give you all the benefits on an old board. The new surface pen for example, with 4000 something levels of pressure and tilt support. These features won't work on a surface pro 3. Suggesting that the board itself is an important component in receiving and reproducing the signal.

Regardless, I think that both boards use very minimal battery if ever. and it would be very minor it is actually irrelevant compared to CPU drain or screen brightness drain.

I do agree on companies purposefully raising prices and not providing cheap or affordable devices. While the cheapest surface pro 5 is still very expensive relative to what it offers, compared to other manufacturers, they don't even offer low end hardware with their digitiser ready devices.

Surface book 2, no i5 or i3 option for the 15" model. And so on ....

5. doobiedoobiedum

I'm only talking about an EMR drain in a device as opposed to an AES battery drain in another device. Of course screen brightness etc will drain batteries faster - it is one of the reasons manufacturers are starting to go with AES more than EMR in higher price laptops. The biggest reason is profit margin of course - AES system is a cheaper component than EMR but as users are looking for longer and longer battery life in their devices that plays a part in speccing up laptops.

EMR laptops will (I believe) start appearing only in more and more expensive higher end systems which is a shame because it goes contra to the popular (and often very real) idea that most artists are starving and often can't afford really expensive equipment.

6. colorsdiary

I get what you mean

Thankfully, I'm fine with what Ntrig are offering. I just need good battery and reasonable cost to go with it. Anything with 6 hours or more is great !

So far, the envy seems to be the best option, the spectre is also good, but more expensive.
    I guess I'll hold out until 2019 with my surface pro 3 for now

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Prediction:

We won't see another 15" (or larger) EMR portable solution (with built-in keyboard) until the market finishes up with the current phase and moves into the next. This took around 10 years last time.

The last portable with a big screen and EMR tech on board was Toshiba's Tecra M4. My old and now defunct, (RIP old friend!) unit was built in 2004.

Samsung's N9P shipped in 2017. 13 years later! That was a loooong wait, and my Tecra M4 literally died less than a week after I ordered the Samsung, dovetailing nearly perfectly my pro-sized portable tablet ownership.

I'll probably pick up another one in five years when they drop in price on the used market, and people will wonder at my stubborn loyalty to which I will simply have to sigh and point out, "It's the only 15" EMR 2-in-1 in existence. Show me another and I'll buy it today."

At the moment, however, it's still a top flight machine which hasn't even begun to suffer from "left behind" due to the ever advancing cutting edge of technology. Still worth every penny.

doobiedoobiedum and stoneseeker like this.
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Weren't there a couple in the 14+" range?? I might be mistaken, but obviously not your holy grail of 15" still. Still the increased pixel density coupled with 14" on the ever powerful HP Zbook X2 must at least tempt your eyeballs? :D

9. doobiedoobiedum

Sadly, I think you're correct here. Samsung also haven't made this tablet available in many other countries and importing from the US into Europe has that horrible customs charge added on.

Never know though, they could do a refresh and make it available elsewhere. Samsung's new Android tablets have had some horrible reviews so they hopefully will want to build on any success stories that they have.

If that doesn't work out though maybe continued competition in AES or whatever alternative technology will finally be deadly serious competition to EMR in the next 5 years (10 years is too long to wait) and on a full blown OS.

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've not been paying attention. Can AES / N-Trig draw a slow straight line yet? I understand they've got a two-point-oh variation nowadays.

Is it a contender for EMR?

doobiedoobiedum likes this.