Cheapest 15" laptop for drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by colorsdiary, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colorsdiary

colorsdiary Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't need super long battery, but I will not downgrade either.

I mean .. reviews are out. Those 15 inchers really do need juice, but the Spectre 15, the yoga 720 and the surface book 15 show promising times in reviews.

12 inchers are too cramped, and an android is not fit for taking art seriously. At least in my opinion. So are iPads.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't mean to interject but you might want to see if you can try out the different tablets first to see if you are perfectly happy with their drawing experience to see if you are happy trading Wacom EMR and lower battery life against higher battery life and MPP / AES or other proprietary digitiser technology.

One thing I've discovered in my own personal search these last few years is so many are close but there's always a "but" that you have to see if you can live with.

colorsdiary and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. colorsdiary

Thanks for your time, and please interject me as much as you want. If i was that know it all busy body, I wouldn't be making a thread asking for help and opinions =)

As for testing out the tablets,
    Aren't they all using the same tech ?

I haven't been in the scene for a while, and they introduced many names that made the whole thing more confusing.

I'm not sure but aren't the HPs and Dells using the same Ntrig tech on the surface Pro 3 ?
    I could swear I saw a video of someone using the surface pen on an HP envy.

As for Ntrig I know it very well, I've been using it for like 2 years now. I'm fairly slow, too. So it all works out. :)

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

Some people prefer Microsoft's implementation of N-Trig and others prefer Wacom's own version. Thankfully the situation is not what it was even 2 years ago as there is finally a digitiser war going on and Wacom have had to up their game from EMR 1.
    There's now even an AES 2 which is a huge improvement on the first version. Hopefully the tablets you mentioned are (apart from the Microsoft) using AES 2 but that's why I suggest you try them out. So far the only 15 inch tablet I've read about that explicitly uses AES 2.0 is the new Dell XPS 2 in 1.

Thing is though, have you noticed that you've left "cheapest" behind in your search? This is what drawing tablets do to you - you start off with one budget then discover even with compromises that you are looking at something over the $1000 mark!

5. colorsdiary

Tell me more about this Dell guy.

As for the pricing, I mean .. The envy starts at $750 .. Still relatively expensive :/
    I got my surface pro 3 refurb for $299. Guess these still will not happen again xD

Oh there's also the Asus flip which I managed to find one on Amazon for $500. Though, there is almost no press about it so ...
    hmmmmmm

6. doobiedoobiedum

Sorry, been out.

Video review of Dell XPS 2 in 1 vs Surface Book 3 vs HP Spectre.

Dell 2 in 1 specific review - Windows Central.

Pretty sure if you go into the Dell section of the forum you'll find discussions. One thing to think about though - last years' Samsung Note 9 has been updated for this year and the tablet version might also get a huge refresh/ The big thing discussed in the review of the Note 9 is extended battery life..

Tell you one thing - the Dell pen in the videos looks exactly like the one supplied with my Dell Canvas and that is a lovely pen. (The Canvas is EMR, not AES)

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The Galaxy Book 12 doesn't give much battery life while doing serious drawing, I'd say even less than the Notebook 9 Pro.
    Obviously one can use a powerful power bank like the Anker Powercore + 26800 like I did and have extra hours to work with.

But honestly no tablet pc gives many hours of battery life when drawing seriously. Not the Cintiq Companion or the Surface Pro for what it's worth, not even the iPad Pro 12.9.
    Best so far for me is the Surface Book 2: with the 15 incher I can almost reach a full day of work if I manage to juggle between Recommended and Better Performance.

8. colorsdiary

I just went on amazon and a few other websites and this guy is incomprehensibly expensive it is not even funny.

Are you sure about the Samsung notebook ?
    I've been looking around and it seems the old model didn't have a pen, neither was it a fold convertible.
    Or are you talking about an upcoming refresh

I don't get it. What do you guys mean by serious drawing that tasks the hardware so much ? What programs do you use, and other battery impacting things you may be doing ?

I'm using CSP and my surface pro 3's fan doesn't even come on while drawing.

9. doobiedoobiedum

Yup. I think there will be a refresh and the battery could be a whole lot better. Downside is that like the Dell 2 in 1 as this year's model the costs will be horrible.

colorsdiary likes this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Try working on an A3 at 300dpi in color with a few layers and brushes of an adequate size. (Let's say from 10 to 500 pixel)
    And remember that more complex brushes tax the cpu more.

colorsdiary likes this.