Cheapest 15" laptop for drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by colorsdiary, Aug 16, 2018.

1. colorsdiary

colorsdiary Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I will not use the form to make this brief :)

I'm upgrading from an i3 Surface pro 3 to any "15 laptop that can fold, and support any form of pen input ( As long as it is at least N-trig or better ).
    Main reason to upgrade is screen size.
    Anything else is irrelevant. Literally. Even the next few lines of requirements are irrelevant. =)

I'm open in terms of budget ( Kindly, show me my options and I will choose. Would love a $400 device, but will shrug and get an $1100 if I absolutely had to )
    I LOVE refurbished and used products ( had 2 and they were a steal ! Well worth the "Not new and shiny" feeling for the savings)

The surface was a little bit annoying in battery life. It really annoying in its reflective screen. Speakers could have been better. But all those 3 points are not required. They're ignore-able.

I think my options are :
    Surface Book 2 15" ( TOO expensive, I think it is a NO )
    Spectre x360 15" ( Just went to see it in a store, LOVE IT ! Tooooooooooooooo expensive locally though )
    Samsung Notebook 9 pro ( Haven't seen it on local shops, I heard about a PWM flickering shenanigans ... Don't know what that means but throwing it out there. I'm leaning towards this the most though )

I also saw the Lenovo Yoga 920 locally, it was a 13.9" Honestly, After seeing the spectre with 15" of magic, Anything below 15 is not desirable.

Are there any options I'm missing ?
    Are there any rumours over the horizon to wait for ?
    Are there specific ways to get any of the above mentioned models for cheaper ? or is there potential deal breaker ( or deal maker ) infos about any of them ?

Thanks for your time =)

* If there are too old models to consider, I'm not too sure, since battery life of old models is questionable.

* By cheapest, I literally meant cheapest. I would LOVE an i3 version or a 4GB version to lower costs. At least that is my current surface and it is keeping up plenty for what I want it to do.

Thanks,

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

A Yoga 720 15 is in that price range brand new under warranty, possibly with a 4K display...

colorsdiary likes this.
  3. colorsdiary

I assume it has a pen ?

Thank you, I'll check it out right away !

4. colorsdiary

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Where are you shipping to?

I'd always lean towards the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro (entirely because of Wacom EMR -And because I own one and adore it), but if AES/N-Trig didn't drive you crazy, then it would probably be an unnecessary expense. There are no good deals on the N9P at the moment. I saw one a couple of weeks ago for $800, but that's long gone. They're all in the $1300 range right now. Might as well buy new.

The PWM problem wasn't a deal breaker for me; there are ways around it.

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Just something to pay attention to: the return/refund date. The issue: it's an HP. Nuff said. Reviews I read are pretty decent except that the screen is 2007 dark - like 200 nit max.

Otherwise, it could be a steal for you. If it doesn't please, I'd strongly recommend trying a Notebook 9 refurb/used/sale for probably the same price.

7. colorsdiary

Awesome, I'll ask you to kindly tell me of many quality of life things about the laptop then ! :p

I ship to middle east, I get all of my electronics from the US, mostly. Laptops have integrated power converters so there're no worries there.

First, If I got that right, you have the 15" one, right ?
    - What's the battery life like ? ( for non-demanding tasks like drawing or just browsing with chrome )
    - How does it look and feel ? The hp spectre ( and even the envy that sells for $750 ) look so nice and stylish. Not that it matters, but it is out there lol.
    - What's the fan like ? and what is the heat coming off the fan like ? does it bother you in the device ?
    - I heard the speakers suck, is it that bad ?

I don't really carry the surface while drawing. mostly I'll be sitting with it on my lap, or laying down with it I'm my lap. Of course I put it on the coach while laying down sometimes. Given the weight difference, can you use your notebook in a chill position like that, or is it too heavy to be comfortable ?
    I also think the size difference will make it easier to use on a table.

I'm not necessarily getting it right now, by the time I'm getting it, it would probably go on sale again :) Otherwise, the envy is still a very attractive option.

I heard of Asus flip devices that sells for 600 maybe 500 for the i5 model ? those ones are a steal at that price ! but for the life of me, I couldn't find ANYTHING about them online

thanks for your time

8. thatcomicsguy

Yep. 15".

Lessee...

-Battery life is good. It always outlasts me through any drawing session. About 5 hours max. A year after purchase, I still get around 3.5 - 4 hours. I mostly work plugged in, though.

-It looks and feels like science fiction. The metal Samsung came up with is weirdly resilient; I lug mine around in a backpack and handle it every day, but despite that, it could almost pass for new. Zero scratches; the giveaway is that the rubber feet are scuffed now and there is a bit of finger grime collected along those edges where dirt naturally collects. Otherwise, it's like it doesn't quite exist in this dimension or something. -Which isn't entirely a good thing; the metal surface is so smooth and grease-resistant that if you're not careful, it will literally scoot out of your grip. I've not dropped mine yet, but that's because I can't bring myself to quite relax while holding it. Teflon isn't as smooth and slidey as this device.

-The fan is as good as silent. It's there if you strain to listen for it, and I have heard it come on when I'm really pushing the system, but that's rare for me. I don't do any intensive gaming or 3D stuff.

-The speakers don't sound bad, but they're noticeably quiet. I end up using headphones or plugging in an external speaker when I'm showing movies with friends.

All in all, it's a pretty great laptop. Reliable, non-crashy and very well-engineered. Samsung doesn't muck around.

Now I got mine specifically to draw on, and for that, it's a brilliant machine. It works best, I find, when sitting at a table. For lounging while drawing... I don't use it that way. But then, I don't lounge and draw well anyhow, even with paper pads. I find bad posture screws up my drawings and my back, so I always try to set up comfortably before getting to work. I draw for a living, have done so for many years, and I've learned not to waste time fighting through the effects of bad posture. I have a little wooden bracket thingy which serves to turn my computer into a small table top drafting board or screen-at-eye-level work station on the fly. The whole thing collapses nicely into my backpack.

That aside, sometimes I do find myself holding it like a clip board, and it's okay for short durations, but it's a bit on the heavy side and 1080p is too narrow to draw on comfortably I find; all the art programs I use have GUI pallets and tool bars which there's no room on the sides for in portrait mode, and putting them at the bottom or top is just awkward and annoying.

But when I'm set up right... Man this thing is good to draw on! The stylus is smooth as silk, better than my dedicated desktop beastie even. As a result, I find myself doing half my work away from home. (You do need a good pen, though. The one it comes with is convenient, but not comfy to draw with for long periods of time. Luckily, there are several nice pens you can get.)

colorsdiary likes this.
  9. colorsdiary

Thank you good sir for your time!

It sounds like it's a really good machine :)
    However ........ 3.5 hours of battery is not going to work for me =(

on their site, they advertise an 11 hours battery life, but since it gets you only 4 at most, this is a big no no.

I have to admit, recently I started recording my screen to explain and supplement a language teaching course I was creating to my friends. I had to type with the pen on my surface, and it was driving me nuts! ( I have a Note 8 smartphone, I know what it's like to have a wacom pen )

but .. Personally, I'd trade that everyday for battery life.

Now I'm even more confused if the advertised battery on the hp envy 15 is even true.

Edit: negative, even the envy barely gets 5 hours out of it.

Guess I will have to waste those dollaahs for a yoga or a spectre, dam my wallet is gonna hate me ( or my card as it is the case )

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  10. thatcomicsguy

I think for super-long battery life, you have to look at the likes of Apple and Android devices. Windows machines need juice. Though, I suspect the Galaxy Book variation might do a lot better on battery, if you can stand to work on a 12" machine.

Azzart and colorsdiary like this.