Cheap way to hook up a TX2500z to a HDTV?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kristhagreat, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

What connection did you use?

I connected via VGA and could output correct 1080p which is 1920x1080 but since your TV isn't 1080p the 720p is what you should output. Via component you can output 720p (I think) which is 1280x720. Thats the resolution you should choose. Also I'm not sure you can clone displays with different resolutions, so I think that extend desktop would be a better choise for you.

P.S. check whats the max resolution of your HDTV model - that's what limits you, not the laptop. Be sure to check the display resolution and not the input resolution, because often TV manufacturers try to boost stats by saying that the TV can take 1080p input while it actually downscales it to 1080i or 720p.

2. newooub

newooub Pen Pal - Newbie

3. GreatWizard

you need a 7 pin s-video to component cable. The dell one is probably fine, though a safer bet would be to go to a general purpose computer store like newegg and not dell if you're buying for an hp.

Notice that the amazon link clearly states not to work with PCs, so it won't work.

"
    By NANDO "AMAZON JUNKY" (UNION NJ USA) - See all my reviews
    This item works great for the purposes intended.
    Other reviewers have stated that it did not work with their MAC or PC... hello, does anyone read the description:

Note: This cable is NOT designed to work in anyway with a computer's input or output. "

4. newooub

newooub Pen Pal - Newbie

Do all vga to component cable not working for tx2500 or just the one I have
    PHP:
    on the link?

5. GreatWizard

I never user nor read of VGA-component conversion. I assume though that you need a circuit of sorts to do that. I think that they are different signals.

Just get an svideo converter as I said (again, 7 pin to component) it's more standart and less complex and works for sure.

6. RonaldReagan

RonaldReagan Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm iterested in finding out what realy works since the pin digrams for both the vga and s-video out are not natively capable of producing component or digital feed (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01524744.pdf). Although, I have read that the graphics drives could provide this feed for a system. I won't know if this capable with the tx2500z until I get mine, which is on order from hp. Does anyone where to get the pin diagram for the quickdock port?

In the mean time I ordered the quickdock that can connect through component which makes me believe that the Catayst graphic program can provide this signal. The question is can it provide it through the vga or s-video port?

7. GreatWizard

For the n-th time. 7pin svideo to component works, and 7pin svideo does provide a component output. Just read back this thread. 7pin output from video cards has been available for years now, and it's always the same.

"A 7-pin connector can also transmit YPbPr or RGB component video, though the outputs are usually 3 RCA jacks for YPbPr"
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

8. RonaldReagan

I ended up getting a quickdock to connect to my tv and the component cable connection come no where close to an hdmi quality that I get from my desktop......

Is there anything like driver update or is this the best i'm going to get out of my tx?

At this quality, I'll return the dock...... Would realy like to know if anyone has tried a vga to dvi/hdmi converter to get digital out for video.....

9. number2jcb

number2jcb Pen Pal - Newbie

What resolution are you sending to your tv? You will need to manually specify in Catalyst that you are outputting component to your TV and tell it what resolution your TV supports. Make sure to use a "P" format like 720p or 1080p (if your TV handles this)

10. RonaldReagan

I expected Catalyst to self configure.... Thanks for the advice, I'll fool around with it tonight.