Cheap Tablet With Long Battery Life, Reading Books

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by mirumirai, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirumirai

mirumirai Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all! I don't have a lot of requirements:
    1. Cheap, <$700
    2. Long Battery Life: 5 or more hours or exchangeable/secondary battery

I'm going to be using it for reading books, surfing, maybe some word/excel. It will be a secondary computer. I won't be writing on it a lot, so the digitizer doesn't matter too much. Also, I'm willing to wait a couple months before I buy.

Preferred but not necessary:
    1. Light
    2. Bright, Readable Screen 10.1" +
    3. Low Heat

My main concern is price and battery life. The new ASUS T91 looks nice, but kind of expensive for its features, small screen, and batteries are non-removable. Gigabyte Touchnote T1028M or HP 2710p look nicer, but again, battery life. I'm wondering if I can get a better deal with refurbished tablets.

Bonus points (but unlikely):
    1. Core 2
    2. Non-Intel Graphics Card

Thanks!

2. KenK

KenK Pen Pal - Newbie

If reading books is the main use, I would strongly recommend an eBook reader over a tablet PC. I have a great tablet PC (Fujitsu T2020, which is reputed to have the best screen of any tablet PC) but even this is no match for my Kindle for reading text. The Kindle has a better view angle, it's perfectly legible even in direct sunlight, and battery life is significantly better. For <$500 you can get the Kindle DX which has a 10" display and native PDF support, and will be available in a couple of weeks. (Mine is supposed to ship June 12.)

3. mirumirai

Thanks, but I've been lurking at the mobileread forums and decided I would prefer more flexibility and color (I have quite a few of those papers with color-coded diagrams). I might wait for some more reviews on the kindle though :D

I should have changed my thread title to include surfing.

4. KenK

KenK Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, you can access the web from the Kindle as well - free wireless access, as a matter of fact. Though admittedly the ability is very limited on my Kindle 1. It may be better on the DX.

I suppose the AlwaysInnovating Touchbook is worth looking into. Slightly smaller screen than you specified, but it's lightweight and has a very good battery life. But who knows how good the screen will be... At that price point, it'd probably be comparable to the screen on netbooks - i.e. pretty good if viewed from the correct angle, but bad contrast if you tilt the screen/device. And there's no firm shipping date - for all I know, it might be vaporware.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. mirumirai

Hmm... the Touchbook seems pretty interesting. I'll definitely be considering it.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As long as you realize the Touchbook is an ARM CPU and won't be running Word or Excel....

Also, unfortunately the current state of eBook software for the PC is pretty horrible.

7. mirumirai

Yeah... Most of my documents/books are in pdfs. I've heard that it shouldn't be too hard to convert linux x86 apps into ARM, but I guess I'll wait and see, seeing as it's coming out soon. :D Meanwhile, any more suggestions? xD

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm using a tc1100 for it, which was definitely cheap, and to me is the perfect form factor for it (10" screen, active digitizer, slate format), but it does get a little hot and has only an hour and a half battery life (though that might change if I bought a new battery, you can only buy it used.) Still, nowhere near 5 hours unfortunately.

... I really wish they'd update the thing with an Atom CPU or something, I'd be on that in a second.

9. fldrice

fldrice Pen Pal - Newbie

A 2710p will get you around 4.5hrs with the primary battery and should get you around 8hrs with the slice battery.

10. mirumirai

Thanks, I didn't know the battery life could be so long :D That sounds really good :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.