Cheap PC Tablet for Digital Art?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Enkmar, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Enkmar

Enkmar Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm a writer who purchased a netbook about two years ago and I love it. I write on it the majority of the time, and it fits my lifestyle perfectly. I've always dabbled with art as well, and more recently I experimented with digital art and I'm hooked. With all that said, I'm considering trying my hand at comic books.

The trick is I don't feel comfortable investing too much money on features I might not be using, if I decide not to continue on this path. At the same time, I connect to my work better through a computer. I think it's the comfort of an "Undo" button, so mistakes are easy to fix.

With all that said, I'm curious what the most affordable pressure-sensative tablet PCs are. Here's my form:

1. What is your budget? I doubt I'd spend over $600, and the cheaper the better

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? Convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? Any

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from? USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No preference

7. How many hours battery life do you require? 3-4

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) Drawing and Writing

9. Do you have an OS preference? Any Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) I'll be trying several art apps

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. No

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer? No preference

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight? That would be nice, but not necessary

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte? Matte would be nice, but not necessary

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
    No

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
    Yes, Wacom

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Flexible

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in? No

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? No

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Everything mentioned above are mere preferences, as I'm very flexible here given my budget. The only prerequisites are affordability and decent pressure-sensitivity for artwork.

Thanks in advance.

2. evgeniy10

evgeniy10 Pen Pal - Newbie

Fujitsu T2010 - T2020 ?

2010 - 500...700$ (refarbished or used)

2020 - $550...800 on ebay. (refarbished)

you can buy at ~~600-650$ - with standard battery, smaller HDD and 2 gb RAM.

3. Enkmar

Enkmar Pen Pal - Newbie

I've searched and searched but I can't find a Fujitsu T2010 or T2020 for anywhere near those prices.

Still hoping for some help here. I'm looking for the best laptop/notebook/netbook for digital art. I don't know much about them despite hours of research, there's just so much to absorb.

I'm looking for something preferably under 600 dollars that's good for an amateur artist hoping to learn. I'd like to avoid the wacom tablets themselves, so I'm looking for either a touch screen (pressure sensitive), or I see some have the wacom (digitizers?) built right into the laptop. Either of these would work. Everything in my price range seems to lack pressure sensitivity. Is this something that could be corrected with a pressure sensitive wacom pen?

Again, really hoping for some answers here. It's such a big world of tablets and I know so little about it. I don't want to buy something that doesn't do what I want it to.

4. Duality169

Duality169 Pen Pal - Newbie

5. DipreSantana

DipreSantana Pen Pal - Newbie

HP TC4200, can be had for less than $300, my brother has one, I've used it with Photoshop CS4, and it works really well with 1GB of ram, it's very sturdy, good quality, and works very well with Win7.

So let's see.

Pay $350 for tablet, including shipping.

$50 for a new battery

$50 to max out the RAM, 2GB.

$100 for a small SSD, and you'll have a very fast netbook / tablet, with wacom, that will last almost 4 hours per charge for under $600.

6. PixelDust

PixelDust Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed that the auction Duality169 listed doesn't tell what the screen res is. The Fujitsu T4220 came in both XGA and SXGA+ resolutions, and XGA is more commonly found in that model.

From what I've read in this forum, SXGA+ is better since you can have more palettes open on screen. If you decide to go for that auction, you should ask the seller about the resolution.

7. Enkmar

Enkmar Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome! Thanks so much guys. This is something exactly like what I was looking for. I'm going to research this T4200, but it looks like exactly what I wanted!

Appreciate the help guys!

Just looking at the linked ebay auction, the first question I have is would this come with a stylus or any sort of pen? If not, what do you guys recommend? I don't know much about the pens either.

Edit: Nevermind about the pen. I just watched a youtube review and I see a pen is built in the side. A little info on pens would still be nice though. What's the difference between them? I mean, why buy a more expensive Wacom pen or something? Just curious.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another nice option is the Toshiba M400. It's far superior to nearly any other Tablet PC in the 12" range for artwork simply because of the screen resolution. And you can generally find them for under $400.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150422083492&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You can do pro-level work on one of these. I was using its predecessor for a while, (the M200), and that was a similarly awesome starter tablet with the great screen, entirely capable of running the CS4 suite, but it packs less hardware punch than the M400.

The big deal here is that the screen is 1400 x 1050. Compared to the other machines you're considering, (which run at 1024 x 768), these higher resolution screens make artwork creation that much more viable. For some reason, this high resolution standard was dropped by all the various manufacturers, so none of the new tablets can put as much information on the screen. I think there were too many people (who were perhaps not artists?) complaining that the icons were too small at that size. The advantage, of course, is that there is more virtual real estate to work with, Photoshop tool panels take up less work space and graphics look incredibly sharp.

Keep in mind with the M400, however, that not all of them come equipped with the high-resolution screen, so you have to double check the specs. (The one I linked to does have the high resolution screen.) Also, because they're older machines, the batteries probably need replacing in order to hold the kind of charge you indicated wanting to have.

But whatever the case, the Fujitsu tablets are certainly very pretty! I'm sure you'll enjoy working on any machine you decide to get!

Cheers, and have fun!

9. Muzun

Muzun Pen Pal - Newbie

i have used motion le 1700. here is lower version of this pc's video.

Cheap TabletPc for Photoshop Painting, Flash Animating and SketcBook Pro Sketching

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017