Cheap e-paper with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tymke14, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Tymke14

Tymke14 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking for something for taking notes at my school. Waht i should buy? I dont have money for remakable and i find asus eee note ea800, is there something better in this price?

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

E-ink devices are still a niche market with low volumes and when you add a digitizer and pen to it the price goes up to $600. Your best bet is to find a used Onyx device.

If you just want to take notes and don't care about file transfer Sharp has a $100 device, but I don't know if it is available outside Japan.

3. Tymke14

Tymke14 Pen Pal - Newbie

What is the name of this sharp device?

4. Kumabjorn

Don't think it has a name, more like a letter and number combination. I'll check mine tomorrow.

5. Tymke14

Tymke14 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, thanks, I will wait

6. Spraaq

Spraaq Pen Pal - Newbie

It's probably the Sharp WG-S20, it's around 107$ on Amazon, huh. If it can be used as an e-book than this is actually great.

siddhartth likes this.
  7. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

If you want to use something for taking school notes. I would recommend buying Samsunng tabS3.

Do not buy anything you can't sync with cloud for school notes. Stick to pen and paper otherwise.

8. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I so want to try the Onyx Boox Max 2 for my pdfs but....that $800 price. o_O

From what I understand, when connected as a secondary monitor, one cannot ink on the screen. Is that correct? Sucks, if so.

9. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

That will require custom made drivers, so that ur pen and digitizer in oxyx can talk to your main pc. Nothing is impossible. Infact, with proper apps, like one that is available for converting ipadpros into cintics for MacOS, what you are asking can be achieved. Infact from what i have heard every wacom enabled display can be turned into a Cintiq with some software magic (apps and drivers). May be if u talk to the guys at onyx they might even release first party apps for the very purpose. They are already paryners with wacom, so they can do that.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Fluffyfurball likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

First, Onyx is releasing a Note in the 10" neighborhood, maybe somewhat more convenient and better price?

But if you prefer the Boox 2 there are some people over on MobileReader that are developing some hacks for the 2.

Fluffyfurball likes this.