Cheap Cintiq alternatives - XP-Pen Artist 12HD drawing tablet?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by meiru, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh REEEEEEALLY?

Well, that's interesting!

Photoshop CC is crap with my touch interface, so if CS2 installs fine, then it might be a good idea to hunt down a copy. The features I need Photoshop for were all included in the old CS versions, the only reason I'm subscribing is to get a PS which installs and works on Windows 10. I seem to recall a website which resells existing licenses for cheap. I'd love to own my software and not rent it!

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The only thing to watch out for is when any new Windows 10 update breaks Wacom drivers. Sometimes it feels like Microsoft forget that a lot of creatives use Windows and Wacom digitisers.

3. thatcomicsguy

Won't be a problem for me. I don't do updates. I found life was just all around happier and less Big Brothery and Crash-sastic when I keep my system locked down and all update services shut off. (It can be done.)

4. doobiedoobiedum

Wow you've moved quite a distance since we once had a huge discussion and disagreement about Apple and walled gardens!
    Personally I think whatever Adobe used in CS once they had took over Flash in the Macromedia takeover is what Windows 10 has been the target of Windows 10 upgrades as Flash player loses its popularity. The old CS2 suite is pre Flash which MAY be why it still installs fine on new Windows 10 machines.

I uninstalled Illustrator CS2 from my older laptops as CS5.5 worked great but I need the newer version on my new desktop and it's not installing. :(

5. thatcomicsguy

Really? I don't think I've moved much at all; I still think Apple suffers from the disease of centralized control without having the competence or psychological hygiene to make it work in a way which doesn't cause rational people endless frustration and insult. Microsoft's OS division has certainly inhaled a whiff of that same virus, especially after Windows 7.

6. doobiedoobiedum

I'll be interested to see how Microsoft continues to develop with WIndows 10, the whole Wacom digitiser debacle where my pen suddenly changed behaviour was annoying. Right now, I also can't get any of my Windows laptops to recognise my SD cards which is strange.
    Sometimes feel Microsoft is forgetting that a huge community of artists also use Windows machines and little things like this can be really annoying.

7. thatcomicsguy

I actually think MS is probably worse than Apple in the Big Brother department.

I remember reading about how Bill Gates held secret meetings with the CIA back when he was still chairing the company. And later, how Stuxnet leveraged half a dozen undocumented and previously "undiscovered" backdoor security holes in Windows to take down the Iranian nuclear industry.

I'm generally not a big fan of nukes, so.., "hooray for the CIA/Mossad" I guess... But you just *know* that every little camera and mic in your vicinity is totally back-door accessible by somebody's spooks and spies. I'm just not terribly comfy with that. -And not just because part of my brain reacts to the idea of surveillance in the same way OCD people react to not-straight picture frames and missmatched wallpaper, but also because spooks and spies would seem to be amoral psychopaths at least half the time, if any given news cycle is an indicator. (And that's being generous.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.