Charging the Surface Pro with Dock

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by mgerbasio, Sep 2, 2017.

1. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm running the insider slow ring build so I'm not sure if this was a problem prior to that.

Using the Surface Dock (SP4 model) or any of my older Surface power supplies, they won't charge the SP. The LED on the connector flashes about one every couple of seconds. The Dock seems to be working fine otherwise. I wanted until the last Windows update (yesterday), but no change.

Anyone else having a problem?

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I don't have the SP4 but I had problems with the dock before. Turns out it was a failed firmware upgrade to the dock, so look for firmware upgrade to the dock. The link is available here, provided by @jnjroach. Do a search for that and you might be able to fix it.

jnjroach likes this.
  3. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Both the dock and older power supplies are now working. Not sure what did it. I restarted the PC, and plugged in the dock, same issue with the blinking LED. So I disconnected the dock, killed power to it, reconnected it and then powered it up. Issue disappeared. Doesn't make sense but it's working now. I think it had more to do with the insider update than anything else because I had tried every combination possible to get this working on the prior version.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe there is a timing issue when the header packet is being sent from the dock to the tablet when they negotiate the ports connection?

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ever so often I have to do as you did, in work, on a Surface Pro 2 dock. Odd but it works.