Charging Encore whilst using USB devices

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Karl86, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadash

dadash Pen Pal - Newbie

After testing for a week I can recommend the Vener8 for the encore whole heartedly.

Use only encores own short micro usb cable from the power block to the Vener8. My problems above were due to a 1.5 meter micro usb cable which wasn't delivering enough juice. With the encore cable works flawlessly.

Also there is no need to plug the cables in any order. Either attach all the cables to Vener8 including USB hub with all the devices and just plug straight into the encore. Or first attach the hub to the Vener8, then the Vener8 to the encore or other way around and lastly the power. It all works.
    :thumbsup:
    Thumbs Up for a great device

2. dadash

dadash Pen Pal - Newbie

Just to add, I'm running the encore with Vener8 mainly as a tiny, fan-less media pc hdmi'd to a 46" flat screen.

Attached using a powered hub are 2 external hard discs, a wireless keyboard / mouse, printer and scanner, usb flash stick and usb gigabyte network adapter.

I'm trying to figure out how to get into encores hidden power options to change hdd and display sleep options. Any advice appreciated..

3. dadash

dadash Pen Pal - Newbie

4. epadin

epadin Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks gor the info on the Vener8. I'll probably wait until it drops in price just bit before trying it out. I got a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and so don't have a great immediate need.

5. Vener8

Vener8 Vener8 Representative

Hi,

We just wanted you to know that it's likely to be a LONG time (if ever) before it drops in price. However, we have the units in the stock if you are interested.

Regards,

Vener8

6. epadin

epadin Pen Pal - Newbie

There was also a notice about not working with certain versions of the Encore BIOS. I'm not sure how to boot into BIOS for version checking on a keyboardless tablet

7. pcwilliams

pcwilliams Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, Power on holding down the power button + volume up button, then press "Enter Setup" to enter the bios. it will show the bios and EC versions.

8. ChurchPunk

ChurchPunk Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you!

I did this with a small Active USB Hub and an old cable I had laying around and came up with the same cable mixture (3 red/blacks; 2 green/whites). I can use using the tablet with a small wireless keyboard/mouse, my phone and ipod classic (both chargning and visible to the Encore) while the encore charges up.

Now i just need to buy me another Monitor :rolleyes:

Here a picture:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. wildpig1234

wildpig1234 Scribbler - Standard Member

So Verner8 reportedly doesn't work with EC 1.20? I guess it's a good thing that mine is bios 1.6 ec 1.1.. but why does some people have ec 1.2? i would like to know this so i can know what to do to not inadvertently update to 1.2 and also if 1.2 has any improvement over 1.1.

Thinking about ordering the verner8 or doing a cable myself...

10. dadash

dadash Pen Pal - Newbie

VENER8+ ENCORE Firmware 1.6 ec 1.20 WORKS!!!
    I've already written, I have Firmware 1.6 with ec1.20. I've been using Vener8 for the last 7 or 8 months without any problems. I've sold my old laptop and using my Encore as pc replacement. I've given details and posted pictures of my encore+Vener8 setup in other threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.