Charging Encore whilst using USB devices

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Karl86, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadash

dadash Pen Pal - Newbie

Can we use a Powered-USB Hub for further devices? Or would that short and maybe damage the encore?

Thanks for sharing this, I've just bought myself a used 64GB encore from ebay for £200 and I plan to use it as a desktop replacement using your "Franken-Cable". I'll be buying the USB cables today.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. dadash

dadash Pen Pal - Newbie

Ooops, double post :)

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  3. dadash

dadash Pen Pal - Newbie

I made the Frankencable exactly as written above but it didnt work. I noticed the micro usb end got hot so I pulled the wire. I checked my wires to make sure there's no shorting and tried again.

This time the encore shut down immediately and the screen went black. It wouldnt switch back on no matter how long I pressed the power or volume.

I thought it was dead, amazingly after 15 minutes it just sprung back to life again

BUT, its damaged....... OTG doesnt work anymore!! Nothing is recognised. Charging works but OTG no more...:(

I've double checked and my Frankencable, is spliced correctly....The only thing I can think of is that maybe the color coding in my usb wires weren't adhered to so maybe the data couloured cables were being used for power and vice versa. Made in China in someones back yard perhaps...

I advise all noobies to stay away from this solution....maybe only use the data switch cable from the dell forums or wait for the +port

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  4. dadash

dadash Pen Pal - Newbie

I've ordered the vener8 charging USB hub. I'm pretty certain it'll work with the encore because its very similar hardware to the Dell.
    I'll post when I get it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. spunker88

spunker88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Let us know, I may buy one of it works.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. epadin

epadin Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone confirm if this hub works with encore? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

7. dadash

dadash Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I finally received my Vener8 here in Germany. It was held up in customs and I had to pay about $10 in VAT at 19% of total price including the postage $41!!

So when you send a Vener8 to Germany tick the "gift" box, if its a gift there's no VAT charge.

I bought the Vener8 for my Toshiba Encore WT8. I first plugged in the power, then using the supplied micro usb cable to the tablet. It charges ok.

So then I connect a usb device to the vener8 usb plug and nothing happens!! My encore already has the drivers for the devices installed.

I unplugged and plugged the Vener8 back into the tablet and at one stage I got a "unkown usb device" showing in the bottom corner of the screen. But still no luck.

Anyone have any advice? Have I missed something?

8. dadash

dadash Pen Pal - Newbie

Toshiba Encore works with Vener8 but it took me a while to figure it out.

For some senseless reason it worked after I changed to an 1AMP HTC smart phone power supply in the Vener8 power port and the supplied micro usb to the encore tablet. But only using a powered usb hub connected to the Vener8. If I attach any device directly to the Vener8 without using a powered hub it wont work.
    So I got my scanner, printer, 2xHDDs, mouse, keyboard etc. all rigged unto a powered usb hub attached to the Vener8.

Later I removed the HTC power from the Vener8 and substituted it with the original Toshiba 2A power and without disconnecting the powered hub it still worked and charged. It lost all the devices briefly while I switched the power but they all came back after the reconnect. But it wont charge properly with the original power block, the charge icon shows but the charge goes down very slowly.

With the HTC 1A power block it charges almost like normal when its connected to the Vener8, about 15 to 20% an hour.

Is this a software or Hardware issue?
    I'd like to hear from other users

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  9. spunker88

spunker88 Pen Pal - Newbie

The Toshiba power block is pretty cheap, Ive been using a 2A HP charger which seems to charge quicker.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

10. Vener8

Vener8 Vener8 Representative

We have heard from two different users now that our Vener8 will work with the Toshiba Encore. You may have to power cycle the Encore with the Vener8 attached. The Vener8 lets you charge the Encore while attaching USB devices. TabletPCReview has a great review of the product. You can order it at Vener8.net The tablet-charging hub. - Home

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.