Charging Encore whilst using USB devices

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Karl86, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl86

Karl86 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Folks
    First of all im happy to report that ive ordered the 64 GB Encore.

I will start this Thread to collect all possible solutions to the "charging whilst using USB device" problem.

In the Dell Forum where already some ways reported. But someone has written, the way with the shortened pin doesnt work with the encore.

For me is the hacked usb hub the ideal way to go. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59328-venue-8-usb-power-same-time-15.html
    Has someone checked the way of peter gunn? Instead i check after new Years Eve, wenn i get the device.

2. wmm

wmm Pen Pal - Newbie

If I'm not mistaken (I didn't watch all of Peter Gunn's video, but I believe it's basically putting a 1500-ohm resistor across the data leads, which is low enough to make the Venue 8 Pro start charging but high enough not to interfere with using the the USB connection with peripherals. I tried that, as well as the "switch" approach where the data leads are shorted initially to start the device charging and then the short is removed.

Neither of those worked for me. It seems to me that the Encore is fundamentally different from the Venue 8 Pro in how it handles the USB port. My hypothesis is that, when a USB connection is made, the Dell device first checks for shorted data leads to determine whether to begin charging and then, regardless of whether it's charging or not, checks to see if a USB device is connected. The Toshiba, on the other hand, appears to check for shorted data leads and, if they are detected, just starts charging and never looks for a USB device in that case, which leads me to be pessimistic that any approach will ever work for both charging and USB at the same time on the Encore. I hope I'm wrong.

3. Chiark

Chiark Pen Pal - Newbie

The encore, with 64gb and good availability, gps, better processor than the lenovo, would be the ideal device but for my use (in car media center) I need usb charging and data.

The lenovo works with a simple cable. The dell needs a switch in the cable. The toshiba? It seems that it will not support usb charging and data.

That's a deal killer for me unfortunately so I'll wait and see... It is, other than usb charging, the perfect device!

4. Chiark

Chiark Pen Pal - Newbie

Another thought: what do people think controls this? Is it a bios issue, or hardware, or possibly a driver issue? Is there anyway to hack the hardware to give a separate charging port?

5. KSABoy

KSABoy Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there something new here, this would be the last issue solved if we can repair this issue...

6. Diversion40

Diversion40 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, just purchased the 32G Toshiba Encore for my wife. Have been reading this and other forums regarding charging and data at the same time. I seem to have solved the problem with the Encore at least and the solution was dead set simple.

1. Cut up a standard micro USB to USB A cable (make sure this is a data cable not just a charge cable as can be supplied with some phones). DO NOT use an OTG cable for the micro USB connector end.
    2. Cut up a male USB A to female USB A extension cable (I used one supplied with a 3G cellular dongle that I never needed)
    3. Splice the power (red and black) and data (green and white) lines together between the female USB A and micro USB
    4. Splice the power lines ONLY from the USB A to the other two spliced power lines.
    5. You should have 3 black and 3 red wires all together, 2 green and two white wires together.

That's it....A simple Y-connector.
    Despite all of the over thinking, boot up timing, switches, resistors etc that I have read about elsewhere, simply plug this combination into your Encore tablet and it works. I plugged an UNPOWERED USB 2.0 hub into the female, the male USB A goes to the existing Toshiba power brick/adaptor and the micro USB into the tablet.

There doesn't seem to be a particular order but I started with the tablet first, then power (waited until windows showed charging and screen brightness increased) then USB hub. It works fine with a keyboard, mouse, 4GIG USB stick and 1TB Samsung USB HDD all connected together. By not using an OTG cable the tablet does not try to power the devices itself though it appears to detect the devices once they are powered up. Obviously the power from the brick travels both ways (to the tablet and devices connected). You can unplug and re-connect the setup with no requirement to reboot, though I usually remove the hub until the tablet begins to charge though it may make no real difference.

I made the cable with bits lying around at home but worst case you would be up for about $10-15 I would guess.

I bought the Encore specially as it had micro HDMI, now it is a reasonable desktop and a great small tablet that doesn't have to be recharged every 8 hours or so.

Hope this helps
    Cheers

ChurchPunk likes this.
  7. Chiark

Chiark Pen Pal - Newbie

If I wore a hat, I would take it off to you!
    Surely that's what a simple y adapter does though? (I've got one for a Nexus 7)
    It sounds like you've made a frankencable with a USB male, USB female and micro USB, with the data lines connected between female USB and micro USB, and the power/ground connected to all 3 connectors.
    I wonder if there's been a firmware update to enable this. Brilliant. I wonder if PC world will let me plug in an adapter cable to try it :D ?

8. Chiark

Chiark Pen Pal - Newbie

Ahhh... I see the difference... You're not using the OTG pins, you're using the normal USB data pins. Wow.

9. wmm

wmm Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried this and it didn't quite work, although I'm still experimenting with it. I'll be interested in others' experiences with this approach.

10. Diversion40

Diversion40 Pen Pal - Newbie

wmm...I am a bit confused by your post. What do you mean by it didn't quite work. Either the tablet charges and has USB data or it doesn't. It's a bit like being pregnant, either you are or your not.

Would you mind explaining what bits did and didn't work?

In response to a number of people who have commented that you cant trust the charging tray icon in windows and need to see if the battery percentage increases (though for some reason these people trust the battery percentage reported by windows but the tray icon is bogus?) The charge percentage DOES increase all the way to 100% with the y-adaptor as described. The only provision being that I had several devices plugged into an unpowered hub last night including an ipad mini and the charge percentage on the tablet remained stationary (at about 83%) as I think all of the other devices were using all of the available power from the brick leaving little left for the Encore to charge, though there was sufficient to stop the battery from discharging further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.