Charging complete indication

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by IndiUser, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndiUser

IndiUser Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure, whether this is answered or not (tried searching for it, but could not able to find)

How do I know that, the slate has been completely charged or not?

And also I don't find any indication while charging except green light on the power brick.

Thank you in advance.

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think there are any charging lights on the device whatsoever, kind of annoying.

3. IndiUser

Hmm.. very bad indeed.. so, the only option I think, is to switch on the slate and see the system tray to know how much charging is done. right?

4. Antfield

Antfield Pen Pal - Newbie

It is quite annoying how little indicators there are on this slate. However, my iPhone also doesn't have charging light indicator (though it is ofcourse much quicker to come on). My old ThinkPad laptop has "plugged in" indicator but ofcourse it doesn't tell if it's fully charged as well.

Bottom line, it is a bit annoying (once I didn't plug the power in all the way and end up with uncharged unit), but to be fair, it's not terribly uncommon?

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...I've also pondered the puzzling lack of indicator LEDs on the S7S.

The only reason I can think of is that they were eliminated to improve the battery operating life, even if it was only by a few minutes.

If you look at the S7S, the thing that strikes me is that everything about it can be thought of in terms of minimizing either size or power consumption (up to a point). The one USB port, the microSD card slot, the miniHDMI, the lack of charge and HD activity indicator LEDs (although why the power-on LED couldn't do double or triple duty is beyond me)...

As consumers, I think that sometimes we're pretty fickle. We demand power and battery life and then we complain when some OEM tries to design a frill-free device to do that...

6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I completely agree and I think these are the greatest strengths of the S7S combined with it's performance and screen but a charging light should have no impact on battery life.

One can hope Samsung fixes with this Series 8 Slate.

7. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

Personally, I'm relieved it does not have those indicators. The bright blue LED of my last tablet blinked in sleep mode making it difficult for me to get my OWN sleep! That was with the charger unplugged; plugged in, the power brick had a brighter blue LED that filled my room at night. I like sleep mode for the fast startup, so my solution was to cover the tablet LEDs with a towel and to get it fully charged before going to bed (so I don't have to charge it overnight).

Same goes for my desktop. I got an Antec 902 case with a power supply that has blue LEDs back when I thought the blue glow of the transparent sides looked cool--and it still does... in the daytime. I think over time what has happened is that I'm valuing sleep over the aesthetics of my rig. The only glow in my room now is the red from my alarm clock, which is more pleasing to the eyes in low-light situations.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The bright blue LED of my last tablet blinked in sleep mode making it difficult for me to get my OWN sleep!..>>

...That's OK. Try the blinding white LEDs on the HP Slate 500 sometime. There must be a flashlight applet on it somewhere that needs to be closed...

9. IndiUser

Sorry, if I sounded about complaining about lack of charging indication ..

I absolutely love this device!!!

When I opened very first time and tried to power it on.. it was not started (may be I didn't hold the power button for sometime). So, I thought there is no charge left and started charging it and but don't know how long I need to wait.. as I don't want to start it until it is fully charged!!

Once it is charged, and windows is running while charging, it is very simple to see how much charging is done from the system tray..

(I feel, this is a software issue than a hardware.. they can use the blue LED beside the power button to indicate charging by blinking it, also they can provide option to turn it off for those who don't want it)

10. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with Ant 100%. You don't need all those lights blinKing all night long. Also, I think the power switch is the best I've used in a tablet. A push button is so much better than a slide switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.