Changing SD drive letter

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by cyano, Jul 19, 2006.

1. cyano

cyano Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone knows how to assign/change the SD card slot drive letter in M400? I managed to change the Memory Stick through the Control Panel -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. However, the SD does not show up there at all.

2. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you have an SD card in the slot while you're doing this? That might help force it to show up under Disk Management.

3. cyano

cyano Pen Pal - Newbie

I did have an SD card in the slot but it just wouldn't show up. What happened was that I first put in a MS card and then went to the Disk Management and change the drive letter of the MS slot drive. Everythings look fine before and after the change Thereafter, I removed the MS card and put in an SD card. Read/write okay, Explorer shows the SD drive okay but when I went to the Disk Management I just couldn't see it. I don't know whether changing the MS drive letter would have any effect on the SD drive. Any more idea?

4. BenjaminRies

Since it is the same slot, you should have one single drive letter for all. Are you trying to get different letters to show up for each type of card?

Try putting the MemoryStick back in. Now does it show up in Computer Management?

5. cyano

cyano Pen Pal - Newbie

On the contrary, what I intended is exactly I would like all of them coming from the same slot should have the same drive letter. However, at present the MS and the SD are different drive letters. When I put back the MS card, it shows the correct drive letter that I assigned. When I put in the SD, it stuck at the pre-assigned letter. I suspect may be the SD can be configured as a booting drive while the MS is not, so the driver does not allow changes to the SD drive letter. Any tricks to get around this?

6. BenjaminRies

Hmm I'm not sure. A modern BIOS generally supports booting from "USB drive" which is drive-letter agnostic (i.e. you can change it in Windows) and at the BIOS level, a bootable SD card should appear no different. That is, card readers generally connect through the USB bus to report a generic Mass Storage Device to the OS.

I'm stumped.

7. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. BenjaminRies

How does the article help? ...he says that the SD card isn't even showing up under Disk Management in the management console.

Unless there's some part of this I'm missing...

9. cyano

cyano Pen Pal - Newbie

Exactly Ben, the problem is it doesn't show up under Disk Management, and thus no way to change the drive letter. Since I have some programs that must access a fixed drive letter and which I cannot change, therefore, I cannot allow Windows XP to assign the drive letter arbitrary.

Ben, many thanks for your time and patient. I'm very appreciated.

Barry, do you have other suggestions? Anyone have some other idea?

10. BenjaminRies

Have you tried more than one SD card? I'm wondering if others might do the trick.