Changing batteries on TC4400

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by lakytus, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakytus

lakytus Pen Pal - Newbie

I want to get a TC4400 off ebay, and I want to get an extra main battery instead of the 8 cell that sticks out of the bottom since I don't like the way it looks. How hard is it to change main batteries? Since I would be using it for school and if it takes a while, like 10 minutes in the middle of class that might be a problem.

2. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

i'm not quite sure i understand your question.

are you asking about how long it takes for the stock 6-cell battery to charge? well, with your system off, in stand-by, or in hibernation, the battery charges to 90% in 90 minutes - as advertised by HP. i can't fully confirm this because i've never timed it, but i'm assuming that it's true.

to charge the main batteries, you simply need to remove the current battery and replace it with the extra battery you will be buying. it's just a matter of flicking a sliding switch and inserting the new battery. honestly, it takes about 30 seconds altogether.

EDIT:
    i just did a "test run" of swapping batteries. it took only 20 seconds (assuming you don't have the replacement battery in front of you). 2 seconds to flip the tablet over. 2 seconds to remove the current battery, 15 seconds to get the replacement battery out of a bag (i made up the 15 seconds), and another 2 seconds to pop the battery in and hear the "click" of the securing lock.

does that help?

3. lakytus

lakytus Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea thanks. That's what I wanted to know. I didn't know if you have to unscrew the cover or something like that.

4. daver

nope, it's just a simple slider that sort of "pops" out the battery from the holder. and then replacing the battery is just a simple "pop"ing in of the battery

5. ajwilcox

ajwilcox Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you really change a battery without hibernating or being connected to a Power Supply?

Going in and out of hibernation will take a few minutes depending on RAM size.

6. daver

i only made the assumption that you would be putting the computer into hibernate mode.

of course, you cannot change the battery without loss of data if the computer is currently on and not plugged into the AC adaptor. you will need to either shut down the computer or put it in hibernation before you can change the battery.

the procedure of swapping batteries is very easy and quick, but the entire process does take some time as you need to shut down, etc.

7. ajwilcox

ajwilcox Pen Pal - Newbie

It would be good if there was a separate battery to allow you to change the main battery.

8. SIMON 319

SIMON 319 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the travel battery for the TC4400 as I do a lot of travelling and working away from power sockets.

I can highly recommend the Travel Battery. It isnt too cumbersome except for the extra weight and its so easy to fit to the external base of the TC4400.

A bit pricey but worth the extra cost

Simon