CF-18 bottom panel screw sequence?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by cjr, Jan 25, 2011.

1. cjr

cjr Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.
    After installing a GPS chip in my CF-18 toughbook, I am having trouble with the cursor jumping all over the screen when I install the bottom cover. Without the cover, the GPS works fine without any cursor jump.
    The instructions for the chip install indicated there is a specific sequence that the screws should be tightened.
    Does anyone have the technical manual that details this sequence?
    Thanks in advance
    CJR

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds like something is pressuring the trackpad. My bet is there is a small cable or something that is a bit bunched up, or on top of something, thus causing the bottom of the trackpad to be pressured, when you put the cover on.

Can you take a picture of it with the cover off, and link it here (or use the "insert image" tool when posting) so we can see what it looks like?

3. cjr

cjr Pen Pal - Newbie

From the maker of the chip

Hi,

Unfortunately this is a common problem with all GPS receivers and Microsoft Windows.
    Windows sometimes mistankenly identifies the GPS as a serial mouse...

Restart your toughbook, enter the BIOS and disable the GPS.

Download the patch by Panasonic.

Go to:
    The Drivers List of Official Support Download Center | TOUGHBOOK | Panasonic

I still am not sure why it only is an issue with the bottom cover on, especially since the GPS chip is by the audio/video jack, far away from the touchpad.

I have yet to try out the patch. Will advise if it works.

4. cjr

cjr Pen Pal - Newbie

Crap.
    The Panasonic website GPS patch is good from the CF-18 D models on.
    I have the CF-18 B.
    Anyone know how to get around that? The patch has an executable that scans the computer for compatibility, and refuses to allow me to install the patch.
    Unfortunately, the B type is "not supposed to" have a GPS, even though it works just fine (except for the jumping cursor)
    Anyone know how to get around this?
    Thanks in advance

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

like I said, I'm pretty sure it is because something is pressuring the trackpad (I came to that conclusion, because: you only see the issue with the cover on, and adding the cover does not change how the GPS chip works -thus a software update can't fix that) either the card is the wrong one (ie: it is too thick), or there are bunched up cables (or something else, like stickers/ protective foam, ect...)

again, it is not a "software thing", as the cover is a piece of hardware that doesn't change the functionality of any of the computer's components.

6. cjr

cjr Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, but it's a software issue.

From Panasonic

Chris,

Please follow the steps below and it should resolve the erratic movement as long as its not a hardware issue. Thank you

Procedure
    1. Switch the file from a .txt file to a .reg file
    2. Run the file then reboot. If the touchpad movement is still erratic then it probably is the touchpad not working correctly

Best Regards,

Text from file below
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\PNP0501\1\Device Parameters]
    "SkipEnumerations"=dword:fffffffe