CES 2014 prototypes 15.6" at 4K screens. . .

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by thatcomicsguy, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A loud "Boo!" from this side of the audience.

A year or so ago Toshiba released/previewed the m930 which only seems available in very limited parts of the world. This link is for New Zealand and is not available on the UK Toshiba website.

[​IMG]

Still - Toshiba are using the 5-in-1 concept to test market feedback and I for one would like to email them as ask for larger screen (15.6) with Wacom rather than 13.3 and then please make available everywhere...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    crashsuit likes this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I thought Wacom doesn't offer 15" digitizers to manufacturers ?? I think that 13.3" is the biggest we see in third party.
    from their website:

wacom options.JPG

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, phooey.

I read the article wrong. My apologies to everyone. I'll edit the OP accordingly.

And on a personal but deeply related note. . .

I sure hope the sweet 15" 1600x1200 screen and controller board I ordered last week work this time (I'm on my second attempt after breaking the first LCD; *far* more delicate things they are than I'd anticipated!) for the home brew Cintiq I'm building.

I kind of feel as though I'm playing some sort of reverse whack-a-mole trying to get the tools I want. You gotta work/suffer for things which are worthwhile; I know this, but the hard reality of it still seems to sneak up on me.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm terribly sorry for joining in on your stoning, OP. That being said I want this form factor so bad now.

How do you guys see you using it differently than say swivel style or yoga style?

I thought of a few advantages
    1. Keys don't get damaged like in Yoga style
    2. Can walk away from device w/ keyboard and a bluetooth mouse. More freedom is more fun.
    3. The novelty would make me feel pretty cool for a long time
    4. Can have a larger screen than the other 12 inch core i5 tablets

5. THat point 2. I feel like being able to control the device remotely b/c of bluetooth keybaord would be awesome but I can't put my fingers on why it would be so awesome. Well its like hey you get a bluetooth keyboard. Nice.

Disadvantages
    1. I am not terribly convinced that is steady in its detached mode
    2. Touchpad is gone. I haven't used one of those touch button things in a while. I remember disliking them compared to touch pad.
    3. Weird dangly thing is weird. Probably makes tablet heavier.
    4. Does that part in between keyboard and screen actually hold still when you put it behind the the tablet?
    5. The keyboard did not look backlit
    6. I guess it doesn't really confer practical advantages over a helix style. Except you can pack more power onto the tablet because you have more space.

Eh I guess I'd rather have a touchpad. My enthusiasm just fizzled out.

Damn. It was such a cool design idea. But I don't see what you actually get from it except if you like controlling your computer from anywhere in a room then now you don't need to carry around a bluetooth keyboard peripheral.

5. kneehowguys

Scratch that there is a huge advantage.

You detach the keyboard, use the wacom pen, and then have the mouse in front of you and now you have three input methods. Touch/Pen. Keyboard. Mouse. All in front of you.

You can very easily swap between drawing and typing without having to yoga bend around your laptop or have to swivel and block your keyboard.

So in a swivel style or yoga style you are forced to do only typing or only touch but in this you can do both without an extra keyboard.

The big disadvantage I see is on the toilet. I think I preer a touchpad on the toilet to that thing in the middle of they keyboard.

thatcomicsguy and Zeelobby like this.
  6. kneehowguys

I didn't know people liked toilet comments.

I really wish there was a way to yell at Toshiba better than the way alot of us have yelled at Lenovo for not making that TP3 or making a wacom 8 inch. That did not seem to do anything.

What is the best way to yell at a company?

I'd really like the bluetooth keyboard that comes with this to also work with my phone or whatever other device very quickly so it is truly a one keyboard solution.

I feel this device + win 8.2 + broadwell + wacom + BT mosue + all day battery might be it for me someday.... I guess I will be content to use a ethernet dongle. I'm in college now and ethernet internet is noticeably faster and more reliable.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ethernet rocks! Sort of. Access is the issue.

I keep 10 feet of cable in my backpack and generally don't even bother with the internet in cafe or other public environments.

I have a couple of places I like to work where ethernet jacks are available. There's a huge and beautiful study hall on the university campus I live near which makes a nice change of scenery. Every desk and table in it has a cable port. They also have comfy leather chairs which you can sink into while sketching. (Also, for an old dude like me, it's pleasant to see the pretty college girls sashaying too and fro).

And yeah. . . Working on the, um, porcelain throne is admittedly something of a luxury. When it works. :)

8. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Microsoft really needs to get scaling, among other things, right on Win9 and stop holding back the potential of the hardware.

9. kneehowguys

0. I might try that carrying ethernet cable with me on campus some time. Seems kinda heavy/takes alot of space but probably worth it if I will spend more than 4+ hours at a location. Ever found one at a library or other public place good for studying?

1. Do Ethernet cables + dongle work with a tablet?

2. Do Bluetooth mice eat through batteries? I so far has been using wire mouse and USB mouse + dongles on my galaxy note 2, thinking about getting a proper bluetooth mouse though I usually hate dealing with bluetooth. The advantage I see is with a tablet your port is no open to be charged if you full wireless.

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Scaling works well in the Modern UI it is the legacy Win32 that struggles. As long as there is backwards compatibility in Windows the desktop will struggle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.