CES 2014 prototypes 15.6" at 4K screens. . .

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by thatcomicsguy, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Arstechnica.com has a preview of several upcoming Toshiba offerings featuring 15.6" 4K displays, one of which explicitly has WACOM digitizer tech.

Hands-on with Toshiba’s high-resolution 4K laptops (and more) | Ars Technica

IMG_8604-640x426.jpg

The Tecra W50 mobile workstation, which uses the same 15.6-inch, high-resolution 4K display as the P50t but has aesthetics and specs more in line with a traditional workstation laptop. It crams a quad-core Intel processor and dedicated Nvidia Quadro K2100M GPU into a chassis that's more concerned with performance than portability.

******EDIT - The above info is wrong/unconfirmed. I pulled it from the wrong part of the article. Sorry folks. The specs on the Wacom enabled device are yet to be determined, and it's very probable that the screen is only 13".

IMG_8605-640x464.jpg
    The keyboard separates from the base, leaving a small strip behind that can be used as a stand.

IMG_8607-640x409.jpg
    "Canvas" mode, up close. The integrated stylus and Wacom digitizer could make this appealing for those who like pen input.

So. . , assuming this actually happens, there are no deal-breaker hard/soft bugs, then this, right here, is my next portable. Literally the ONLY machine currently on the horizon which covers two of my four vital concerns. I don't have many:

1. Big screen.
    2. Reliable digitizer tech.
    3. Reasonable price point.
    4. Quiet.

Why nobody has been able to get this right yet is beyond me. I've been using Toshiba machines ever since I got into digital media. I'd be happy to continue that trend if this thing happens.

Wait and see.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Absolutely fabulous.

For anyone wanting smaller and more portable there are plenty of alternatives.

How long before it reaches the market? I've been speccing up a desktop to run a lenovo 13.3 screen but if this comes out, all plans are out the window. Just hope it's not going to be RAM limited.

OK - edited to add a link I found with video. What was shown was the concept; development is still continuing on this model.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/11/toshiba-5-in-1/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    thatcomicsguy and crashsuit like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm really excited about this too! I see a lot of potential for this.

However, I do think the structure of your post is a tad misleading (and Ars Technica's article title). Toshiba has not confirmed any specs on the device. So we don't know if it has a 4K display as on the W50 or P50t. I suspect not because, the panel looks to be 13,3" inches.

Also the processor specs will probably be standard ultrabook fare, as opposed to anything like the workstation specs of the W50 in your first paragraph. This because, similar to the ATIV Q, it has all its motherboard components confined to the hinge extension.

Still I'm quite excited. Perhaps this will be the first Broadwell tablet PC.

4. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, the title is misleading: A 4K display quad-core mobile workstation with wacom digitizer, our dream comes true!! But too good to be true...
    This prototype is too thin and light to have quad-core or even regular voltage CPU. Low voltage CPU is still too slow to handle very huge ink-note page in OneNote. And probably it may have only one RAM slot, that's not acceptable for serious tasks.

5. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, OP please edit the original post.

The way you have written it, it looks like this silver convertible has all of the specs you mentioned when in fact they declined to comment on all of these specs for the silver convertible.

But honestly, a 15.6 inch convertible with this form factor + wacom would be to die for.

I absolutely love the idea of an attachable bluetooth keyboard. Wireless mouse + bluetooth keyboard + potential ports

Just freedom in mobility.

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Misleading?

I politely must disagree.

The demo model was 15.6", 4k resolution, had a Wacom digitizer and the quad core guts to drive it. Said so right in the article. (Though, you have to click through the images to get the relevant spec footnotes I included.)

Anyway, I purposefully plugged the word, "Prototypes" in the thread title just to keep things clear.

Will it happen? We don't know. A number of cool looking devices have been displayed at electronics shows in the past which never made it to retail. This might suffer the same fate. I can only hope as much as anybody else, but it's not fair to say I'm misleading anybody here.

7. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

I sincerely hope that you are right, and that's really the DREAM of many of us, but I never seen any specs of this prototype mentioned in any of images, except for wacom digitizer. The 4K resolution and quad core is for Satellite P50t and Tecra W50, not mentioned for the convertible prototype...

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I have to agree with thatcomicsguy. I don't see a single misleading thing in his original post. He's not misleading, I think you guys are just misreading. He says its a prototype, and then all the text in italics, crammed between two copy/pasted pics is pretty clearly from an article he's quoting. Yeah, the quoted text mentions quad cores, which is a mistake, but he was clearly fixing on the large Wacom tech in his own post. People need to chill some, IMO. Just sayin'.

Personally, I think the concept is a) astoundingly simple, and b) an awesome idea, and c) strangely groundbreaking when it should be old hand. Would love to see something like this come out. Curious to see where it goes! :)

Thanks for sharing thatcomicsguy.

9. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

crashsuit likes this.
  10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Dude... You're right. And when you're right you're right. And you're right.

The copied text looks like its for another device- the one above the text in the linked to article. The pics of the Wacom device are below the copied text, but the actual description if the 5-in-1 is down below. Hard to say about screen size, but essentially I agree that its not mentioned specifically in the article. Neither is the screen res.

I'm sure it's an honest mistake of course. Bummer. :(

Edit-
    Ah, yes, I see the specifically mentioned 13.3" size in the article you linked to Zeelobby. Pooh.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.