Casual artist

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by weaver, Nov 27, 2012.

1. weaver

weaver Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi I am new to this site and looking for a tablet for my girlfriend who loves to paint and draw, always has an artist pad with her:

COPY HERE

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

£250

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Any

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Consider windows, notebook, but not iPad

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inch

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

UK

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Not apple

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

above 3

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

sketching, painting, email, limited surfing

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Any except Apple

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Art programs

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Best possible?

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?

Yes

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?

Yes either pen will do

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Hard drive any

up to 4 gig

Expandable yes

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Sd slot, USB both considered

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

would like to Wacom digitiser installed

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I have searched the forums but still in a quandary, My girlfriend isn't pc literate so not looking for a complicated machine.

I hope my wish list is OK and I am sure that I will get excellent advice from members.

2. Dog

Dog Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have a fountain of knowledge when it comes to tablets but going from my own experiences in the UK you will find it hard to locate a device under £250 which has pressure sensitivity. You'd have to resort to sites such as Ebay and cross your fingers you can find a working unit in good enough quality. If you weren't looking for Wacom (P)enabled tablets then your budget would cover multiple options, both brand new and used/refurbished, but if it's as important as I imagine you won't want to do without and in that case it's going to be a bit of a rough ride.

3. weaver

weaver Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your reply, I know it will be difficult at the moment time is on my side as I don't need it till Christmas. I can up my budget to £250.

I have been looking at the Lenovo X61 which I can get for £170, also the HP 2730p at £230 which one would be the best?

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Visibility in Sunlight has never been very good, even with the best of systems, and 3 hours of battery life is a squeeze even with a new battery on older systems available in that price range, but the HP 27XXp series are generally considered an excellent bet.

eBay is your friend.

5. Dog

Dog Pen Pal - Newbie

Two words of warning if you plan to buy from a non-UK source.

First, custom charges can sting you quite badly! I ordered a laptop from the US not too long ago for a combined total of around £315 but it got held by customs and instead of receiving my item I got a letter stating that I had to pay £71 if I ever wanted to see it. Naturally I wasn't too happy about paying almost a quarter extra on top of my previous purchase but "them da rules". Use a custom charge calculator before you buy anything so you don't get a nasty surprise.

Second, USPS will not accept Li-on batteries for delivery! If you want your tablet to come with a battery then think again if the seller is going to post through USPS. Apparently there have been reports of these batteries exploding or catching fire during transit (no doubt because of mishandling, questionable quality control there) which is why they have put a ban on them.

6. Leopleurodon

Leopleurodon Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the LE 1600 or LE 1700 by Motion Computing might be great for drawing purposes and they're around 200-400$ on eBay.
    Motion Computing makes rugged tablets that are designed for outdoor use and the "View Anywhere" editions have screens that should be well visible at sunlight. Here's a comic artist who bought himself a LE1600 and describes his experience: Nick Zuccarello's Art Blogspot: Wacom Cintiq 21UX and Motion Computing LE1600
    To be honest, when I read this blog entry I first came across the idea of drawing on a tablet PC instead of a cintiq or usual graphic tablets.

But on the other hand these tablet have no keyboard. You can only type on the screen and only use the stylus for that. No finger input. If that's not okay for your girlfriend you should look for an older convertible PC like the Fujitsu T5010 / T4410 / T4220, Lenovo X61T or Toshiba Tecra M4 / M7.
    I haven't used any of these tablets but typing the tablet name + "drawing" or "art" in google might give you some information.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

If you're looking for something relatively modern, that has touch and a pen, then I'd vote for the Galaxy Note 10.1". You can use a few art apps like LayerPaint, SketchBook Pro, and Adobe Photoshop Touch, as well as the native Samsung SNote app to draw in. It comes with an S-pen, and gets very good battery life, is lightweight, and has all the normal Android apps and things you'd want. It's around 500$ US.

If you want something that runs Windows and Windows art programs (Photoshop, Artrage, Sketchbook Pro, etc), then you have fewer options. The Motion le1600 that was suggested is a great intro tablet for artists that are dabbling with going digital. It's thin (.75-1"), light-weight (3 lbs), and gets about 2-3 hours of battery life with the main battery. Add a slice battery on the back and it weighs 4 lbs, but you get 5 hours of battery life. It's not particularly outdoor viewable, but not much is. It's underpowered by todays' standards, but it runs programs fine if you're just doing light sketching. It can go online, etc. with wifi, but all input is pen-only. No touch. It does have a very nice programmable button array though, which works great for shortcuts to be pressed by your left hand (while drawing with your right) if you turn the tablet around upside down.

The Fujitsu st5112 is a slate from the same generation, and functions similarly as well.

If you want a keyboard, or more power, then there are lots and lots of convertible options, but we'd need to hear more from you. The Lenovo x60t, 61t, or the x200t, the Fujitsu t4220 or t5010, the HP 2710p or 2730p or are nice convertible options, and are probably in your range. The truth is they're all very good. For what it's worth, the t5010 is probably the most powerful, but also the heaviest and thickest. The x200t and 2730p have, IMO, the best balance between heat, battery life, and performance. The other models are also fine.

If you're looking for a slate though, for a casual artist my vote would be the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" or the Motion le1600.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  8. weaver

weaver Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have done a deal for the Motion LE1600 pick up on Thursday. From all the reviews this is the best option.:hi2: