Cases, styli, and skins oh my! :p

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Icecursor, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Icecursor

Icecursor Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello ASUS EEE SLATE brothers and sisters!

I thought I would jump in to the forum, considering I have only read about 25% of the 50 some pages… YIKES… and ask a few questions that I haven't come across or to revive (due to lack of activivty) some.

First things first though, please… please… don't give me a dumb answer like "Google it"… please. I am an electrical engineer and Financial Services agent (yes two jobs)… I know how to use google and I know that the internet has lots to offer, lol, but don't give me a lame answer please…

okay on to business:

Cases:
    I've looked around and the only case I've found is still the Asus case. it is nice, yet lame. I continued my search and I must say that according to the dimensions of the EP121 it is actually give or take 1/2" smaller in every way than the MacBook pro 13". That being said… if anyone likes style and what not I found this fantastic sleeve… I know, "A sleeve isn't a case," or is it???

Bamboo...

Bamboo MacBook Pro Case 13"

or in oak...

Oak Wood MacBook Pro Case 13"

If anyone else has found any fantastic cases or sleeves… post it

Styli:

The plural of stylus, which now brings me to the point, pun intended. The stylus that is OEM is nice, but I'm wondering, will any Wacom stylus work, or stylus from any other company? I'm thinking this because there are a few of them that actually have buttons on the stylus itself (ie left click, right click, centre click/scroll).

I haven't found any that work (because I haven't fully researched this and don't know a WHOLE lot about styli.

Skins:

I have only found a hand full of skins for the slate. I'm also wondering if it'd be a smart idea just because of the heat distribution. Again, I'm no pro at this, so I ask the community.

Ladies and gentlemen, have at it!

Your friendly neighbourhood Coffee Snob,

Phil

2. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...don't give me a dumb answer like "Google it"&#8230; don't give me a lame answer please&#8230;>>

Phil: This is not a "lame answer." This is our way of asking you to be a responsible member of this forum and to put in the time to do research and make your own contributions rather than ask everyone else to do the work for you. The information archived in this forum is the result of dozens of us doing just that; pitching in, sharing the load and taking the time to collect and document the information for the benefit of all. We don't think it's too much to ask of any new member to simply read what's already here, rather than ask us to spoon feed it to them. We know that the forum search function is pretty lame right now, but it's amazing how much ground can be covered with just a couple of hours of reading. Work with us, and I think you'll be happy with the cooperation and responsiveness of the entire forum.

And welcome onboard!

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I've looked around and the only case I've found is still the Asus case...>>

...The lack of any third-party accessories for the EP has been an irritation pretty much since Day 1. Some of us have found substitute products like the ones you have pointed to, but the selection of really appropriate products is discouragingly small. Other than cases built for Apple products, I am not aware of any cases or skins that fit the EP particularly well...

<<...will any Wacom stylus work...>>

...To expand just slightly on kamikaze's excellent answer, any Wacom tabletPC pen will work with the EP121. This includes (but is not limited to) the HP/Compaq TC1100 pen, the Motion LE1600 and LE1700 pens, the now discontinued Cross Executive pen, and any of several "penabled" pens sold by Wacom at their website. In general, any Wacom pen with an "UP" prefix will be compatible. This subject has been documented many times in this forum and elsewhere. I suggest that you Google it.

See also:

http://www.wacom-asia.com/aptky/607/pen.htm (Pens with the light blue boxes are compatible; most are discontinued but occasionally available on auction sites.)

<<...I have only found a hand full of skins for the slate...>>

...Us, too. I have pondered the heating question myself, but have no clear answers to share. However, if the EP runs OK in its folio cover (which it does) and the folio covers most of the back (which it does), it seems likely that a pre-cut skin would be no worse in terms of impeding thermal cooling. So my assumption is that a skin would probably be OK...

5. Icecursor

Icecursor Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Steve,
    Glad to be on board! I hear what you are saying, but I've seen SO many loogans giving an answer of "google it" to a question that is a paragraph long. I get that I have to do research, as any respectable human should before asking for help, but after the research, I was hoping someone else had more luck than I.

And you are right, the search function is a little lame. It'd be nice to have a search within portions of the site... IE the EP121 section.

Starting my life with a slate and I'm excited!

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Use the Alternate Search function...in announcement. In fact it is powered by Google.

7. kwg06516

kwg06516 Pen Pal - Newbie

Kami,

thanks for the ebay links. I've held off getting a new pen but now I feel like treating myself and this will do nicely.

When anything is not available or overpriced, DIY. This would make a nice project, if you're handy with molding silicone rubbers. Just make sure you get the right ones (tin or platinum cure as the rest tend to smell like vinegar).

I imagine sealing the unit in an airtight bag (vacuum unnecessary) and suspending it in a vertical container in which you make a rough negative silicone mold of the unit. Then make a rough positive plaster cast of the unit from that mold. You'll have to clean and sand the cast if you didn't use a vacuum, so make sure you use a silicate free plaster unless you want white lung.

Use modeling clay to design a clay positive of your silicone case on top of the plaster cast. Don't forget sprues for fill and air escape. Then cast another mold around that to make your production negative. Remove the clay from plaster positive and suspend it inside the production negative. Now cast your new case!