Cases/Sleeves/Stands for Asus Vivotab Note 8

Discussion in 'Asus' started by replax, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Strange, according to EU laws I don't Think they can do that.

2. hopemax

hopemax Pen Pal - Newbie

Excuse me .. your statement true.
    [​IMG]

3. whyired

whyired Pen Pal - Newbie

So I have the VersaSleeve. I like it however I kind of want something I can use where I just open teh case like a notebook to take notes. With the VersaSleeve I have to take the tablet out to take notes. And suggestions? Also does anyone know of any rubber/rugged protectors for the edge?

4. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Restoring function to my IVSO cover:

Since I cut out the magnets from my IVSO sleeve, I've had no inking problems caused by the strong magnets they put in there. However, I can't use the stand in landscape mode with a keyboard because the stand wont work in landscape without the magnets. I had a hearing cancel this morning so had a few minutes to kill. I found a couple of old Velcro buttons (hook and felt pieces cut in a small circle) and cut them in half. I put them on the back of the IVSO cover like so:

WP_20140321_001.jpg

That's basically all there is too it. They permit the tri fold to form a proper base.

WP_20140321_002.jpg

And voila!

WP_20140321_003.jpg

Works fine and is stable enough to double as a typing stand. Ideally, I would have used longer strips of industrial strength Velcro but this took all of 30 seconds and works fine.

WillAdams and ananimus like this.
  6. ananimus

ananimus Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, after much hunting I confirmed there just aren't any sleeve cases besides the VersaSleeve for naked tablet lovers. Was hoping to find something with pockets maybe. Everything is either too loose or too small to fit at all. Gotta give the 8" market time to catch up I guess.

VS arrived today. Got mine $10 less on a MS online store sale. Already I really like it. Minimal as a case and of course fits like a glove. It works remarkably well as a stand in landscape, which I was hoping for. It's held snugly enough that it doesn't move around while working and tapping/typing. So much so that it's fine in the lap, where it's resting now as I bang out this post. Stability is greatly helped by how far back the supporting part sticks out. It's a bit more precarious in portrait, especially the more upright way. Don't know why you'd do that though.

Shallow angle is about 20°, maybe less. Kind of perfect for lap pecking, slightly steep for desk typing. The steeper angle is about 65° and also secure enough to rest solidly on lap(/belly!) or table with a nice viewing angle. The flap in this mode can be folded under without much fuss to still sit neatly on a table. (I was worried this sticking out would eat up precious tray table space on the plane.)

I also have a Bamboo Feel pen. It clips securely and easily onto either spine of the case for on-the-go storage. The magnetic flap is strong too and doesn't cause any interference in stand mode.

I do agree with whyired, bit tedious unsheathing for a quick note. Can't have it both ways though (naked and easy to flip open). Besides that funny new case smell, I think it's about perfect for my tastes. Highly recommend it, even for the premium.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Bronsky and nerdteddy like this.
  7. nerdteddy

nerdteddy Scribbler - Standard Member

Great review on the VS case ananimus.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I looked for one at the MS store but they didn't have them in stock yet. Glad to hear there's no interference from the magnet closure. I would have hoped Asus engineers looked at that before releasing it.

9. ananimus

ananimus Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I was optimistic they'd have one since my store had the 64GB AVN8. Alas, I had to order from online MS store. Only took 3 days by standard shipping though.

I'm watching the magnet bit more closely now. Just today noticing touch layer being weird. Seems like a software issue. Split keyboard in landscape is sometimes not letting me type U's, for example. If I open/close keyboard it's suddenly fine again. (So yeah, probably not case.)

Edit: note this is while not near case. Thought at first it may be weird hysteresis effect.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  10. maki

maki Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.