Car sketching thread? Car sketching thread.

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, May 31, 2013.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

car 010.jpg

Mypaint - getting a nosebleed from not using Journal...

2. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Thanks for the heads-up on this book ... never heard of it before, but it sounds great.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I like the front wheel turning action Doobie.

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

truck 13.jpg

This one's lost the freshness of a sketch but I promised myself to upload good and bad. I've tightened up too much - supposed to be completing a digital painting instead.

Time for another break from the forum.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

This one was 15 minutes of honest effort. I think an airconditioner fell out of a window onto it =P

car.jpg

I think I am ready to quit my day job.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Mesosphere I would buy that car! :p-

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

8. DaveOnBass

DaveOnBass Scribbler - Standard Member

occasionally giving this another stab here and there - here's a quick one I did last night with Manga Studio 5 on Cintiq 15x.
    cardoodle.jpg

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I've never sketched a car before, but I can appreciate a smooth, muscular, metallic line. Then the local 8-year neighbor boy came over to play with my daughter, and saw me sketching. Asked if I could sketch his drift car model. So he brought it over and I gave it a go. Fun! :) Of course, being 8, he was impressed. His pop builds race cars for a living, so the little dude is all cars all the time. All and all, I was happy, though it's a bit stretched. The model is more compact and has more "muscle."

Probably 35-40 minutes or so. All done on my lowly, but beloved, le1600 in Manga Studio 5 on a nice 3600 x 2400 canvas. I love using it in Secondary Landscape with the programmed bezel buttons. Nice textured surface too. Not really any lag to speak of expect for large, textured brushes. Amazing how the efficiencies we get in software help pull the hardware into new life. Win 7 and Manga Studio 5 baby! :D

drift car jpeg small.jpg

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm not sure I get the whole "MS5 works well in older machines" thing. It doesn't strike me as a small footprint program in the least. I notice it lag and struggle with high res paintings way more and quicker than photoshop CS6 by quite a significant margin.

I just set up a 3600 x 2400 canvas like you had and started trying to paint with 100 - 200 pixel watercolor brushes and it was lag city. Like if I rapidly painted, I would watch the brush move by itself retracing my moves for 5-10 seconds. If I put CS6 under similar situation it's no where NEAR as bad.

Is there some magic function to keep it from trying to use the iGPU or something? I monitored it while painting, and MS5 immediately was using 500,000 K of memory and 48-53% of CPU.

In contrast, I can work on a canvas at 5x the resolution in CS6 without the program taking up more than 30% of the CPU, --although it quickly uses more memory-- all the while no lag in sight, even when using 800 pixel brushes.

Is there something wrong with my copy of MS5? What determines lag on a system? I find MS5 unstable and stuttery, while CS6 seems buttery smooth no matter how big I get.

I am guessing it has to do with MS5 simply having a much more demanding brush engine (it blends with existing colors) but I wouldn't call that a light program at all then.

Is it your experience too Steve that CS6 performs even better on your system?