Car sketching thread? Car sketching thread.

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, May 31, 2013.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sorry buddy. Buried in freelance work. Awesome stuff! Keep the fort down while I dig out of my mess.

Dave, all I can tell you is that ability to draw straight lines freehand is gold. I put all my students through rigorous "mechanics of drawing" basics when I get them started. When you have good straight lines to fall back on, it's easier to project proper curves in 3D space.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've got a new range of prints on the go which I have to get sorted but yeah, I'll pop back to the forum once in a while and throw some new stuff out. Have a feeling I want to tweak the nose scoop on the last truck anyway so that'll be the first when I get time.

3. DaveOnBass

DaveOnBass Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I always thought that a decent perspective box construct would make it easier but sometimes my cars end up looking more like oblique projections instead of true 3D forms because of my apparent inability to consistently project a curve falling "away" from the viewer. Then again, your 3D car forms are better even than some actual car designers' work I've seen.

Dammit, I can't even find any of the paper car drawings I've done. Guess I'll have to do some on digital soon =0)

4. Shogmaster

OMG, Fresh Paint is pretty funky fresh indeed! Having too much fun with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    demandarin likes this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Isn't Fresh Paint ridiculous?? For a stock program shipped out with windows, I'm pretty impressed. I always use it to test out the stylus of TPC's in stores..

6. Shogmaster

I remember when it first launched with Win8, it vectored like crazy with fast brush movement. Deleted it immediately because of that.

They must have tweaked the brush engine recently. Now it roxxorz my boxxorz.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

it reminds me of a more streamlined artrage crossed with Sketchbook Pro.

8. Shogmaster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DaveOnBass

Damn you're good Shog - I am going to have to do some car sketching today.

10. DaveOnBass

Here's a new sketch I just did of an old idea (Inspired by Autobot "Kup" and a one-off conceptual experiment from GM in the 90s, basically a super-aero pickup truck). I think it would actually sell if someone got the design just right.

carsketch1.jpg

You can see that it just doesn't have the dynamism that Shog's do and I KNOW it's due to the view angle and perspective issues. I can draw almost anything in decent perspective, but cars I have some kind of a special issue with.

I would also relish a good lesson on how to best color car sketches; what with all the reflections to consider it looks like the "base color" is rarely used, yet done right you can always tell exactly what color it's depicting.