capturing signature using tablet?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by fry_guy, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fry_guy

fry_guy Pen Pal - Newbie

just joined the forum after lurking for a while. got my tm2 2 days ago and have been enjoying its use ever since.

what i'm looking to do (and didn't see any posts about) is to capture my written signature using the tablet for putting on docs which require it. Is there special software required to do that? i'm very new to tablets as well.

2. JayT

JayT Pen Pal - Newbie

Simply "draw" your signature in a graphics program (such as MS Paint). Crop and save the result as a graphics file (png, gif, jpg etc). This can then be imported into your documents.

3. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

MS Outlook 2007 and 2010 allows inking right in an email, so you could sign each email if you wanted to. Word allows the same.

4. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

fry - fyi the signature is purely visual and is not going to be legaly binding or contractual in any way.

The process of legally signing a document is a bit more complex but here is a link to aid you:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/CH060839901033.aspx

If you are just looking for the "flashiness" of having your signature on e-mails for visual sake only, then what JayT describes is going to be just fine.

5. TMetzinger

TMetzinger Pen Pal - Newbie

Digital signatures are not required to be "legal". State law may vary, and even the Federal law on Electronic signatures is scarily vague. Bottom line is that any individual transaction may specify what constitutes a legally binding signature. For the IRS on your TurboTax filing it's one thing, dealing with the state may be something else. For DEA controlled substances a very tightly controlled digital signature is required - it's probably one of the few really rigorous digital signature applications in government.

I used to work for the DEA and at the time I chaired the technical working group for the Department of Justice on Public Key Infrastructure. There's quite a lot of cool stuff possible with a good public key system, but it's all based on the initial issuance of digital credentials and the security of that process, so, just like electrification, it takes a long time to get the standards set and the infrastructure built.

FWIW, I use ink in Word to sign my contracts for ferry flying. I've had to go in to court once, and there was no dispute of the signature.

6. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

Your case with the judge worked because likely no party questioned the authenticity of the signature.

I work for a major US Bank and capturing a true locked and secured digital signature field *is* the requirement because the technology is used to prove that in fact they *did* sign that doc, that the datetime is captured, and that the document was not modified afterwards.

Based on what you are recommending, anyone with a copy of your signature "image" could have "signed" on your behalf with a quick copy and paste.... or you or someone else could have changed the document terms without any history audit or invalidation of your signature.

7. TMetzinger

TMetzinger Pen Pal - Newbie

As I said.... as long as both parties agree for the particular transaction... My point is that there is no single unified standard for this. Your bank requires one thing for certain functions, but I bet it doesn't require it for online banking transactions like transfers, does it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.