Cap question for those with apple pencil gen 1

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by paprikaleapt, Mar 26, 2019.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone made any modifications to their pen to harder to lose the cap?

Alternatively, I'm thinking of just not using the cap ever and just being careful not to get the exposed lightning port get wet/bent

Or just keeping a plastic sandwich bag in my pocket to separate out the cap

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Amazon sells replacement caps that you can use while keeping the official one safe. Alternatively, there are 'cap holders' - as if we needed any more proof that the pencil was bad design.. Have a look at this search.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wow. Only Apple could spawn such a broad aftermarket in pen skins, tips and caps. It's funny, but I have been looking for a clip to use on my Surface pen since last September but haven't found anything I like. But, apple makes a bad design for their pen's charger and there are a dozen companies manufacturing solutions.

It looks like Samsung has anticipated the release of the Mini and looks to be making a run at the 8" market with an SPen competitor. https://liliputing.com/2019/03/sams...s-with-an-s-pen-may-be-coming-soon-leaks.html

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  4. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had the Apple Pencil v1 for over 2 years now, and have never lost the cap. I once did get a silicone grip sleeve for my pencil that has its own built in cap cover....didn’t really like it though....went back to naked pencil and it’s own cap. But with my Mini 5, I bought a case that has a quite secure slot for the pencil....even has a separate little cubby hole to store the cap while pencil charges. I’m fairly confident with this case, I won’t be losing the cap anytime soon.

Azzart likes this.
  6. WhenUtry

WhenUtry Pen Pal - Newbie

I remember my sister just buying a replacement cap as well. It's fairly easy to lose/damage the cap :/