canvas setup

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by jbaks, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...it zooms in every browsing software...>>

j: Are you sure that you are being careful with your gestures. I occasionally see these kinds of effects (especially the zooming thing) but it's always because I'm gesturing carelessly, not because the touch interface is faulty. Are you using a one finger or two finger scroll?...

jbaks likes this.
  2. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Everything has been perfect on my machine, I'm glad I got it, drawing using art rage and mischeif works extremely well, just as good as my taichi I love the design of everything. Video editing with Davinci Resolve works great on the VZC as well, I'm happy about that.

I checked and my Taichi does it to some extent as well, what happens is when Im using scroll swipe, one finger browsing say any website, say this site for example, scrolling through pages using one finger swipe, it wants to recognize the swipe as simply a one finger touch, so whats happening is instead of a swipe being recognized, u know the swipe that has the little trail behind it, its simply recognizing as if you tapped the screen, and it shows the dot about the size of a dime. This happens more pronounced on battery power then plugged in.(sometimes it will recognize one swipe as 2 or 3 touch tapps which leads to the unwanted zoom)

So, chrome is the only browser that doesn't zoom when u double tap the browser, so iv just been using that. Other wise everything else has been working well, i was trying to install Ubuntu 16.10 using hyper-v but i gave up on that, i need my WIFI connected all the time to my main OS, just to check if i was seeing the same behavior.

Say for example, you use battery power, and use edge, and you start scrolling through websites, slowly, and medium pace, does any one finger scroll swipes recognize as touch inputs instead. To me it almost completely ruins my browsing experience. Im getting a little more use to it with chrome, at least chrome doesnt zoom in like I mentioned other wise it would be completely unusable.

I bet its just a windows thing, ill test out some other OS using VMware at some point.

So just to be perfectly clear on what im trying to explain here, one finger scroll swipe is being recognized as a tap touch input instead. It doesnt happen all the time, just enough over the course of a browing session to click unwanted links as well as zoom in in the browsers that think your double tapping instead of just scroll to swipe. I checked my taichi to see if it does it and it does to some extent as well, altough i never really had a problem with unwanted links being triggered.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. jbaks

If any owners could test there vzc with above mentioned that would be great.(on just battery power with balannce profile and edge) tell me what there scrolling experience is like using the touch screen.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  4. jbaks

I figured out why my canvas was doing what I mentioned in my last few posts here. What it was is the minimum processor state in the power plans on battery. Default is set to 5% while on battery which is what makes the browser skip and click when its not suppose to. Obviously i just changed it too 100% and everything is fine.

5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Doubt it. Minimum processor state is just that: minimum. If your maximum was also set to 5% then ya, it would make everything crawl to a halt.

My ZC auto-switches between High Performance when plugged in and Balanced when on battery. Minimum processor state is set to 5% for both. Let's say you up the minimum to 50%, that means when you're ZC is doing absolutely nothing the CPU is still cranking at 50%.

You're now running your i7-4770HQ at 100% 24/7 with your new setting. Complete waste of power. Your end result will likely be considerably less battery life, a lot more fan noise, and a hot tablet.

6. jbaks

It did indeed fix it, iv tested it for past week now. When running on battery the minimum 5% default setting allows the fluctuation to be to volatile with significant drops in bandwidth allowed causing the browsing experience that Iv described in the thread as close to the experience that I was having.

This is at the expense of battery life obviously but no more accidental clicks while browsing using swipe to scroll making using internet unbearable to some extent.

uhm, well i dont know about anyone elses canvas but this is coolest device iv ever owned and the quietest so both of those problems are not n issue for me. Yes battery takes a significant hit but im sure i can tweak some settings. regardless i use the internet every day, id rather have smooth browsing.

Im just letting the people that might run into this issue know how it can be fixed and what worked for me.

Its kind difficult to explain, you would know how easy it is to spot if its happening to you cause its extremely annoying for aficionado internet users.

I know its fixed, see every night I like to sprawl out on my stomic and put my canvas in front of me on the carpet, and its nice not to have wires running all over the floor but Iv had to keep it plugged in while doing this since i bought it for already discussed reason. Last week It was urking me that I still had to have it plugged in so I just figured well the only possible explenation has to lie in power management, i guess i just didnt have enough time before to figure it out. The only setting Iv changed last week was the minimum processor utalization on battery in the processor management section of power management and wahla, everything works as it does when plugged in.

so in short, i like thousands of others solved a problem caused by power management or registry, or idiocy changed a setting in power management. I now gain the ranks of rocket scientist.

no wires
    [​IMG]
    ps: this is all referring to using just battery power

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  7. jbaks

maybee i didnt figure it out, seems to be doing it again, weird. yea disregard last post, ahh its still doing it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  8. n8finn

n8finn Pen Pal - Newbie

@jbaks yeah my Canvas sometimes registers sporadic multi-touch when scrolling....I actually thought it was because of this screen protector I recently installed but good to know it's not just me. I've dealt with it assuming that an update will address it at some point.

I'm glad you're loving the VZC, I really love mine too but constantly go back and forth wishing I got a Wacom MSP..... this device carries so much more value and function in a small package....as unique and niche as the ZC is, it's nice to see a community out there using it. Right now, the only issue I'm having with mine is it's disconnect from a Microsoft Arc Mouse, but MS has a new 2017 model coming out and I've got it on pre-order :)...the built in trackpad is okay for basic stuff but I miss the trackpad in the Surface Book. It works 100% with a Logitech bluetooth mouse, so I'm sure it's some weird incompatibility (since it's a Surface-branded product lol, jk).

9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You have smooth scrolling enabled in Chrome?

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've done some investigation in this problem, and what you guys can try is touching a part of the metal chassis while swiping with your finger.

The best theory for the origin of this problem (based off of this post) is that it is grounding issue with digitizer.

The digitizer is grounded to the metal chassis which is in turn grounded to the power supply when plugged in. While unplugged, voltage drift from accumulated static buildup on the chassis will throw off the calibration of the touchscreen. Plugging in or touching the metal the chassis equalize the potential difference and can reduce or clear the interfering static charge.

This is also a source of the peculiar pen-drop outs and phantom corner touches.

I believe, all of this stems from VAIO's unique implementation of the N-Trig digitizer, as these problems were reported on the VAIO Tap models too.

I will be writing to VAIO about this in my Canvas 2 proposal.