canvas setup

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by jbaks, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

I decided to join the Vaio Z Canvas owners group this week, Iv been wanting to get my hands on a new one for awhile unfortunately when the firesale was taking place I didn't have the means to throw down. I got a brand new one for a decent price this week, it hasn't arrived yet but I had a few questions to the owners. I own a Taichi and from reading reviews/forums, owners of it had great difficulties with drivers and updates. Now I don't ever use updates on windows from past bad experiences and its never effected me with any of my hardware, I need stability more then anything with my machines as I use them for business as I'm sure many here use them as well for. So I have a few questions to the owners about updates and a few tips with windows 10. Iv not got a chance to use the new Operating system yet.

As far as the updates are concerned, and yes Iv read through all the VZC threads just in case someone wants to usher me to one of those threads, do you guys/gals have a good stopping point with the updates before it starts changing drivers and settings around and messing things up as Iv read so many times, like IV read the anniversary update some VZC owners had trouble with. Id rather not mess around with having to flash anything or update drivers that don't need updating just for a windows update that wont effect me. I use my own firewall(comodo) for blocking incoming ips or threats. Any tips on the updates would be nice.

As far as winows 10 is concerned, can some of the owners recommend with some reference links things like wintab/wacom drivers and which works with what, I Realize wintab is what is used with ntrig as I use it with the taichi but i read something about wacom being used for some reason with the canvas. Also are there any windows 10 settings specific to the canvas that users could recommend to a new user of win 10.

Finally for someone that just got there hands on the canvas for the first time and hasn't installed anything or changed any settings, can some owners share some of there tips tricks that would be beneficial as far as drivers/software are concerned, just a list of things to do for a brand new user taking his canvas out of the box for the first time. I appreciate any input.

(I didnt post my questions in the VZC owners thread because I figured I might get a few more views here as not many people post in the sony forum any more for obvious reasons. If mods want to change the title to something like Vaio z Canvas Drivers/updates tutorial or move my thread to the owners lounge my feelings wont be hurt)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

j: Welcome. I think you will find the ZC to be a powerful and capable device. A few comments and suggestions, since you have asked (I won't comment on your more art-related questions as there are others who are likely more qualified to give you advice):

<<...can some owners share...a list of things to do for a brand new user...>>
    1. Windows Updates aren't a bad thing, and I think that you do yourself a disservice if you don't install them. Your new ZC may not have the Anniversary Update (Redstone 1) installed, and the Creator's Update (Redstone 2) is literally just around the corner. The Anniversary Update installed with no problems (for me) and I expect the same from the Creator's Update.
    2. Once you have initialized your ZC, updated it (it's going to do this whether you like it or not) and possibly installed your primary apps, do a full back-up or clone of your SSD. This way, you always have an original system load that you can go back to if you have any future trouble.
    3. Resist the urge to completely wipe and reload Windows to get a "clean" copy. Your ZC comes tailored for VAIO's hardware and wiping the software load removes components that you need. I didn't have any bloatware on my ZC. Take some time to use your ZC with its original software for a while before you make any significant changes. This lets you see how VAIO intends the ZC to work.
    4. There are only about 7 or 8 VAIO updates for the ZC. I installed all of them, and everything works fine. HOWEVER, be sure you read the instructions! They're not written as well as they should be, but them's the breaks. In particular, do the keyboard firmware update carefully. My first attempt failed, but the second one was successful. If you'd rather not do firmware updates, then don't.
    5. Actually take a few minutes and read the ZC User's Guide. It contains some useful information.
    That's my advice. Good luck...

jbaks likes this.
  3. jbaks

I appreciate that Steve I will take that advice under advisement. Yea I definitely dont want my kb to go out on me on the first day, seems odd to me it would fail like that. Of course nothing is unchangeable in any OS, as in the automatic updates can easily be disabled in the control panel section of services. My OS needs to be rock solid stable as in mission critical, I Cant be bothered with updates or software scans without prior consent. I probably shouldnt even be using windows 10 for my business i do but thats the way it goes. Anyone install a second windows server 2016 or linux distro on there machines?

Yea id never wipe hardware such as the canvas or any machine that has complicated drivers and firmwares using touch/stylus tech in them, your just asking for problems and a time sink of waste. I Was laughing my ass of at all the reviews of the taichi because people think they need a few updates to there windows there never going to use instead of being able to actual use there device the way it was intended. There were thousands of ppl sending them back cause they couldn't get the updates to play nice with the complicated drivers being that the taichi had 2 screens.

So I know the canvas is quite a nitch product, there's not going to be any heroes coming in to save the day when iv lost all my data and my canvas is a brick from an windows update thats never going to see the light of day. You can probably tell Iv had extremely bad luck with using updates in windows, i stopped using them in xp a long time ago. I just figured i might give it a go this time around and see if I fair any better. Iv been very happy not using any though, never had any issues. I guess i may just be lucky.

4. jbaks

pics comparing my taichi to the new canvas, I'm very glad I bought it. The only small issue I seem to be having is some random disconnect on the wifi, I'm probably 5 walls from are router which is downstairs. Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jbaks

I ended up deciding to use updates this time around, the wifi has been working fine, not sure why it was dropping to start with.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...not sure why it was dropping to start with...>>

...I was going to comment that my ZC's WiFi is rock solid, and noticeably faster than my Surface Pro 4. However, you didn't say what versions of 802.11 your router supports; that might make a difference...

7. jbaks

Yea I haven't had any problems with wifi since the first few hours I used it. My router is brand new, DOCSIS 3.0. One thing to note is I don't think Iv ever seen colors on a screen so natural, every picture I look at its almost as if the monitor is seeing what my eyes see with a little bit of flair. Iv got oled on my phone but the colors seem so natural, I guess that's why it has 95% adobe RGB coverage.

8. jbaks

Steve/anyone have you ever had any troubles with the touchscreen and browsing where it zooms when it shouldn't or click when it shouldn't when using touch swipe specifically. Iv tried calibrating in windows and I downloaded the calibration tool from support, no luck.

9. jbaks

It wants to recognize swipes as touch inputs then it zooms in every browsing software; explorer, edge, Firefox. any ideas? I'd bet its win10 thing.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  10. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think you're hunting for problems jbaks.